The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) and Mogadishu implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance and peacebuilding, GBV, Nutrition, education and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
Reporting to the M&E coordinator, the Senior MEAL Officer works in close collaboration with program/MEAL teams and technically supported by Regional client responsiveness specialist/RMAC to optimize monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning capacities and opportunities of the IRC mission in Somalia to ensure high-quality programming for the clients we serve and support the global ambitions of IRC Strategy 100, and the Country Strategic Action Plan. The Senior MEAL Officer oversees, leads and implements MEAL activities of implementating of client feedback channels, managing and following up proactive and reactive client calls as well as conducting and leading client satisfaction surveys MEAL team
Leadership and Partnership
- Support all technical aspects and actions of MEAL regarding the MEAL activities of implementation of client feedback channels, managing and following up proactive and reactive client calls as well as conducting and leading client satisfaction surveys; respond to program needs; foster high standards and practices for quality data collection, analysis, and reports. Enable accountability to clients, partners, and donors.
- Implement and support MEAL system and approaches in your areas of expertise and foster learning.
- Represent IRC at technical meetings, forums, and other events & build partnerships within IRC and area of expertise.
- Champion access and use of data for shared learning, sound decision-making, and data-informed programmatic adaptations.
Run the MEAL system and processes for Client responsiveness in harmony with the MEAL Country and Global Strategies throughout the project cycle which include:
Collaborate with MEAL and program staff to ensure that data is collected, compiled, checked for its quality and completeness in compliance with IRC and donors’ standards for data quality.
Document and share learning, evidence, and data from previous projects to inform project proposal design.
Implement M&E/MEAL plans, revise (digital) data collection tools, follow-up on processes for online data management, quality checks, and audits, and updating of data visualization.
Undertake regular analysis of monitoring data and work closely with program officers and managers to facilitate decision-making for real-time program adaptation.
Produce quality reports and updating dashboards with key findings that foster learning and decision-making and share in project cycle management meetings and team meetings.
Maintain complaints and feedback tracking database and do follow up on complaints to reach a resolution involving relevant project/program staff.
Identify, document, and share client feedback to improve services and results for our clients.
Ensure to strength, manage the accountability system of IRC to Beneficiaries which includes capacity building of staff and partner organizations on this theme.
Assist the MEAL team and project team in carrying out preliminary first inquiry report in case of serious nature of complaints filed by beneficiaries/communities.
Support deployment of surveys such as baseline and end line, and the commission of evaluations in coordination with colleagues and partners.
Support the use of standard mobile data technology and online dashboard to enhance timeliness and quality of data collection, analysis, and visualization.
Join and contribute to IRC’s effort in meeting its internal and external accountability commitments through the implementation of sound accountability, client feedback, and response mechanisms.
- Participate in the recruitment and onboarding of casual workers, field research workers and enumerators.
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports directly to M&E Coordinator
- Position directly supervises: Research assistants and/or enumerators.
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Regional client responsiveness specialist, MEAL Coordinator/Manager and Officers, Data Officer, ICT Officer, Partnerships Manager, HR, Field Coordinator.
External: Beneficiaries, program partner organisations, local and national government.
- A technical degree or equivalent - additional relevant work experience may substitute for education.
- A minimum 4 year of working experience in a related field.
- Possess basic technical knowledge of M&E approaches and techniques in some or all of the following areas: Outputs, Outcome monitoring; Theories of Change, Logical frameworks, Data collection, Basic data analysis, Accountability, Client feedback mechanisms.
- Experience in conducting primary quantitative data collection and data entry.
- Basic proficiency and experience with mobile data collection such as Kobo, CommCare, ODK Collect is required, knowledge of Tableau, PowerBI, or GIS software tools are additional assets.
- Good computer skills in MS Office, especially Excel; and Word – with experience in writing reports.
- Self-motivated and pro-active attitude with good organization, planning, and analytic skills, including prioritizing work, multi-tasking, and attention to detail.
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and in constantly evolving work environments;
- Demonstrated analytical, systematic-thinking, and problem-solving skills are definite assets;
- A strong understanding of accountability and proven ability to build Client Feedback Systems
- Language [English and Somali language.
- Preferrable female candidate.
- Willingness to travel to various field-level offices 30%.
How to apply
Apply the following link:
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Diversity and Inclusion: at IRC, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, physical or mental ability, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
IRC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. IRC expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of IRC Persons in any work setting. All IRC staff, wherever they are located, are accountable for creating an environment free of discrimination, harassment, bullying, and retaliation.
Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.