Job Title Head of Programme Funding
Organisation/Unit Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V./Johanniter International Assistance
Job Location Berlin, Germany
In its 2027 strategy, Johanniter commits to considerably increase its funding and diversy its donor base of institutional and private donors.
In order to deliver the 2027 strategy, Johanniter International Assistance (JIA) will strengthen its operational processes and systems across the organisation. It will focus on further improving programme quality, diversifying their funding sources, investing in donor relationships and learning and development.
Within this framework, the mandate of the Programme Funding unit is to:
· Lead the overall process to develop, operationalize and monitor the Johanniter International Assistance Programme Funding Strategy 2027
· Set up and coordinate a team of international Programme Funding Officers that will create a network of donor and stakeholder contacts and knowledge to increase the organizations funding for programme implementation
· Provide advisory services and ensure the technical support for project planning and implementation of high quality programmes of all our country offices to assure coherence with all donor requirements and regulations
· Support JIA overall and in particular country offices in defining the JIA global and regional funding strategies to identify and strengthen old and new donor relationships to extend our operational scope and promote the maximum collaboration in the design and development of programmes.
The Head of Programme Funding will be responsible for setting up the desk and leading it, ensuring it delivers on its mandate. S/he will be working closely with colleagues at HQ and CO level - in the International Management Group (IMG), and in particular colleagues in the Programme Department, the Head of Global Support Unit, the Head of Accountability and Compliance and JUH stakeholders.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
The Head of Programme Funding leads the development and implementation of Johanniter International Assistance programme funding strategy for institutional and private donors.
Reporting to: Head of Programmes (first level supervisor)
Director International Assistance (next level supervisor)
Supervising: Programme Funding Officers at CO level,
assigned employees of country offices (e.g. Heads of Missions)
Gives technical advice to: ./.
Receives technical advice from: ./.
Standing in for: Programme Funding Officers, Head of Emergencies, Head of Strategy & Learning
Represented by: Head of Programmes, Head of Emergencies, Head of Strategy & Learning
Strategy and Vision
- Actively supports the values of Johanniter and thus shapes his/her work according to those values
- Is responsible for positioning Johanniter with key donors and within the (I)NGO community and regular networking and relationship building
- Contributes to the management and leadership of Johanniter International Assistance as a member of the Johanniter International Management Group (final set up tbc)
- Accountable for the identification of potential funding opportunities for Johanniter International Assistance programmes worldwide
- Leads the development and implementation of Johanniter International Assistance programme funding strategy for institutional and private donors
Programme Funding Management
- Identifies and pursues funding opportunities for regional / global / thematic multi-year programmes
- Enables the development, acquisition and management of regional / global / thematic multi-year programmes in cooperation with programme staff at HQ and CO level as well as international and national partners
- Supports und provides technical guidance to Heads of Mission and CO staff on development and implementation of funding strategies at CO level
· Develops and monitors strategic funding planning from all sources, closely liaising with programme and support staff and respective team members of the Fundraising team (Trusts, Foundations, Corporates, Major Donors)
· Ensures overview of existing funding co-operations and contracts
· Supports programmes to ensure compliance and risk management related to restricted donor funding in close liaison with colleagues at HQ and CO level
Supports the preparation of pre-award audits from potential donors for quality assurance of donor requirements and regulations
· Supervises programme funding team members in their capacity building efforts towards programme colleagues in grants management and compliance
· Ensures the proactive identification of compliance risks throughout the portfolio and advises programme and support staff in CO and HQ and senior management on necessary actions
· Works closely with Head of Accountability & Compliance to ensure coherence of approaches with regard to institutional donor compliance and overall JIA risk management
· Sets up and manages programme funding team
· Line manages assigned senior managers in a matrix management set up, e.g. HoM
· Participates in Recruitment of Programme Funding Team staff
· Active involvement in the global multi-year and annual financial planning
· Develops and monitors annual programme funding budget
Communication and Representation
· Represents Johanniter International Assistance externally towards donors or in relevant committees (e.g. AA, BMZ; ECHO, ADH, VENRO, etc.) and networking organizations.
· Proactively pursues opportunities to position Johanniter International Assistance in relevant fora and towards donors outside the traditional remit
· Represents Johanniter International Assistance within JUH and other Johanniter entities
Interface with other Desks and Departments
· Ensures regular information flow between Johanniter programme, fundraising and communication teams
· Cooperates with colleagues in the programme, finance, communication desk and other relevant departments in the acquisition and administration of public and private funding
· Liaises closely with colleagues in fundraising, marketing and communication at JUH HQ and within the wider Johanniter association
· Liaises closely with Strategy and Learning team to make best use of outcomes and impacts achieved through our programmes for fundraising and donor communication
· Co-owns the implementation of the internal change process of Johanniter International Assistance
Professional Qualification and Experience:
The Head of Programme Funding needs to hold an academic degree (MA / MSc) in a relevant field
· At least 10 years of experience in a humanitarian context/international development, minimum 3 years in a leadership position
· Context related work experience in project management of humanitarian and development programmes – ideally also in working with partner organisations
· Experience in Compliance and Quality Assurance of donor requirements and regulations
· Experience in Public Financial Management
· Experience in development and implementation of global programme funding strategies
· Proven record of achievement of fundraising targets
· Very good knowledge of current debates and trends in the sector including those of relevant donors and their funding strategies (e.g. GFFO, BMZ, ECHO, EuropAid, UN)
· Relevant experience in external representation and networking at senior level and on the ground, in networks, at conferences, towards donors and other governmental institutions
· Relevant experience in working in network organisations and/or association structures, involving liaison with affiliates and/or professional and volunteer counterparts in branch offices
· Highly developed relationship building, influencing, negotiating and interpersonal skills
· Proven ability to drive continuous improvement and develop new ways of working
· Adaptable working style and high tolerance for ambiguity
· Extensive people management skills and multiple years’ experience in managing teams (including remote management and matrix management)
· Proven skills in change management and leading processes of organisational development
· Strategic and analytical thinking combined with a drive to shape the organisation
· Ability to deal with conflicts, manage resistance, being able to remain focused and cope with frustrations
· Excellent communication skills both internally and externally
· Willingness to travel to project countries incl. low-security contexts
· Fluent in German and English. Good knowledge of French/Spanish an asset
How to apply
If this is what you are looking for:
Please appy via email@example.com (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date and Please indicate “Head of Programme Funding” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Deadline for applications: 31 December 2021
Interviews planned for: 14 – 17 January 2022
We will only notify short-listed candidates.
Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Suitable candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
*We require background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.*