The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Summary of Responsibilities**:**
The Senior Health and Nutrition Officer will be working under the direct supervision of the Senior health and nutrition manager. and will be responsible providing quality of health and nutrition care services to patients as per WHO/IRC protocols and international benchmarks.
- Conduct technical support visits to the health facilities and outreach health and nutrition sites to ensure that maternal and child health/nutrition services are being provided according to national standards and protocols.
- She/he will ensure the implementation of a quality health and nutrition program in the target health facilities and outreach sites in accordance with acceptable national and international standards.
- She/he will provide capacity building and on the job training to health and nutrition staff in the health facilities and in the outreach sites and ensure the Somalia standard treatment guidelines and protocols are adhered.
- She/he will collect and analyses health and nutrition related data from all the health facilities and the outreach sites to ensure accurate and timely data is availed for program decisions and monitoring.
- Work in close collaboration with the MOH regional and district focal points and ensure HMIS reports are submitted accurately and timely by all health facilities using the DHIS tool.
- Conduct supportive supervision to ensure Programme quality, accurate health and nutrition data reporting and appropriate use of medical drugs and nutrition supplies.
- Compile and submit quality program reports as per the timeline.
- Participate and represent IRC in health forums such as health cluster meetings and working groups.
- Ensure proper documentation of achievements, lessons learnt, and best practices throughout the program implementation.
- Support the development of work plans, reporting and monitoring and evaluation plans.
- In collaboration with the senior health and nutrition manager.
- Ensure adequate supply of essential drugs, diagnostics and other consumables to the supported health facilities.
- Provide periodic inventories.
- Support in management of facility store (sand ensure identification of gaps in health and nutrition sectors and provide regular on job training.
Monitoring, management and capacity building.
- Provide regular supervision and technical support to health facility staff including participation in monitoring and impact analysis of the project.
- Supervise the efficient implementation of all feeding program; supplementary and therapeutic feeding programme interventions.
- Monitor and review nutrition supplies and equipment’s’ movements such as deliveries, storage, transport and utilization at the site level.
- Monitor the situation and provide feedback to the senior nutrition officer.
- Ensure all OTP/TSFP team members are familiar with their posts.
- Work closely with the teams to ensure all children are measured correctly.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the various components of the program.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- University degree in nutrition, public health, or related technical field.
- At least years of similar experience in Nutrition and public health fields.
- Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is required.
- Fluency in English required both oral and written.
- Good knowledge of computer management and applications.
- Knowledge on SMART, SQUEAC and other nutrition surveillance methods will be an added advantage.
- Proven analytical, communication/ negotiation skills and ability to think strategically.
How to apply
Apply the following link:
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Diversity and Inclusion: at IRC, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, physical or mental ability, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
IRC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. IRC expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of IRC Persons in any work setting. All IRC staff, wherever they are located, are accountable for creating an environment free of discrimination, harassment, bullying, and retaliation.
Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.