ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Program Officer for Europe and Eurasia (E&E) helps develop, represent, and manage E&E programs under the supervision of the Senior Program Officer for Europe and Eurasia.
Internews has US offices in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC which support a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully in-office, or partially remote. Ultimately this position may work remotely from the US, partially remotely from our Washington, DC office or fully in office for candidates based in the DC area. Our ideal candidate is based on the East Coast of the United States; remote candidates based elsewhere in the United States will also be considered.
This position has a closing date of 15 December 2021.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Support programmatic development and project management for Internews' programming within Europe and Eurasia.
- As assigned, coordinate various aspects at all levels of proposal development, including research, writing, and editing.
- Manage review and editing of quarterly and final narrative reports, workplans, and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plans in coordination with field offices and other Headquarters staff.
- In conjunction with other program staff, monitor progress towards project deliverables and provide guidance to field teams on reporting, M&E, compliance, communications, and related issues as necessary.
- Solicit, draft, and edit success stories, briefers, and other communications materials for E&E projects in coordination with field teams.
- Work closely with businesses/grants and contracts staff to ensure projects remain in compliance with donors' requirements and Internews' internal policies.
- Prepare modification requests and other documents required for programs as needed.
- Draft contracts for external consultants and services as needed.
- Provide input and support for organization-wide initiatives as needed.
- Represent Internews and the Europe and Eurasia department before other NGOs, funders, and government officials.
- Travel to the E&E region as necessary for project monitoring, staff training, field assessments, and/or proposal development.
- Supervise and train seasonal support staff or volunteers working on E&E programs as necessary.
- Research and communicate with other NGOs domestically and abroad on issues involving the media, civil society, freedom of expression, access to information, digital rights and security, etc.
- Stay abreast of news and trends in media development and foreign assistance, particularly as regards the E&E region.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Native-level English, professional proficiency in written and spoken Russian
- 4+ years professional experience in international affairs, including experience living, working, or studying in the countries of the former U.S.S.R.
- Solid understanding of media development and/or other civil society development issues in the E&E region
- Experience supporting donor-funded projects, particularly USG-funded projects
- Experience contributing to proposals for US government donors
- Experience monitoring and evaluating project results through project-level indicators and targets
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and/or confidential information with discretion
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate
- Superior analytical and writing skills and experience conducting desk research
- Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS office programs
- Ability to travel internationally
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Experience supporting European donor-funded projects
- Experience contributing to proposals for European donors
How to apply
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page.