Title: Deputy Country Director, Programs
Location: Thies, Senegal
Requirement: Proficiency in French and English
Travel: Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%
Reports to: Country Director
myAgro is an award-winning NGO that helps smallholder farmers in West Africa save for the high-quality seed and fertilizer they will need next planting season, engaging them with dignity as individuals who can invest in their own future. Our tech-enabled model empowers farmers to self-finance the inputs and supports they need. This savings-led approach has the power to revolutionize agriculture for smallholder farmers.
In the next few years, myAgro will scale to work with over 1M farmers in the region and we want the best talent in the world to help us get there
About the Deputy Country Director Job:
The Deputy Country Director, Programs is a senior leadership position that will report directly to the Country Director (CD) and will assume direct responsibility and accountability for the effective support and oversight of all field departments. This means leading Directors and Managers who head Sales (Field, Call Center and Sales Operations & Training), Agriculture, Impact, Data Quality and Marketing.
This role entails leading overall program execution and coordination among programs and teams, external networking and contacts with donors, NGOs and government authorities. S/he will maintain focus on management, communication, high quality and drive towards scale that achieves permanent change and impact.S/he will be a leading member of the Country Leadership Team (CLT) and work with her/his peers to ensure myAgro Senegal is making progress towards its purpose.
Essential Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Program Management & Execution
- Collaborate with the Global team and Country Director to proactively plan and build for scale.
- Provide strategic program leadership and excellent management of the approved projects, schedules, and budgets. Maintain excellent oversight of all project components and meet expectations for project successes.
- Ensure that project managers and project coordinators execute approved work plan activities and operations in response to technical direction, and recommend adjustments as appropriate, to achieve project objectives.
- Effectively manage project risks in each phase of project implementation in a timely manner, to ensure fulfillment of objectives.
- Effectively maintain strong communication with all the relevant stakeholders throughout project implementation, and successfully manage a matrix project management structure when necessary.
- Ensure accountability and compliance with donor requirements.
- In liaison with the Finance department, undertake periodic budget monitoring and variance analysis with all program managers and coordinators in reviewing and tracking spending to adhere to the annual budget.
- Support Sales and Agriculture in planning and undertaking corrective management actions arising from budget monitoring reports.
- Proactively plan the team required for scale and ensure roles are filled with high quality talent and new joiners are onboarded successfully.
- Support the development and execution of the organization’s people strategy; embody and maintain myAgro’s values.
- Manage a geographically distributed team in the programmes unit to ensure seamless collaboration and culture alignment.
- Support the learning and development of annual goals and aspirations of teams.
- Ensure proper communication within the program team, making sure that the strategy, decisions and future endeavors are shared in a transparent manner.
- In collaboration with the HR team, help address disciplinary, conflict and abuse issues within the program team.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- At least 5 years leading multiple programs and 10 years overall in program management in Africa or other developing regions. Experience with international organizations is across different territories and markets is a plus!
- Advanced university degree in business administration, management, marketing, fundraising, or other relevant subject areas preferred.
- Fluent in English with a good understanding of French/ willingness to learn French.
- Previous budget and resource management accountability at country level.
- Experience in leading senior staff and matrixed teams.
- Experience managing teams in similar functional areas and deep understanding of the leadership and guidance that high-value teams would need to be successful.
- Strong aptitude for translating technical details into comprehensive & tailored materials.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated history of being an empowering, supportive, inclusive and mentoring manager, as well as working remotely and in-person with multicultural teams.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and a strong passion for our mission!
myAgro provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, marital/parental status, national origin, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, and genetics. myAgro complies with all applicable federal, provincial and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.