Under direct supervision of the HQ-based Desk Manager, the Country director has overall responsibility for TGH’s operations in Iraq including KR-I and Federal Iraq (GoI). He/she supervises about 8 expatriates and 120 national employees.
The main responsibilities include:
General coordination of the mission
- Represent TGH in Iraq (GoI) and KR-I, in particular with national authorities, national project partners, donors, humanitarian coordination mechanisms, UN agencies and other INGOs
- Establish/develop relations with head offices of Ministries and administrations in Baghdad in view of opening new project areas
- Ensure compliance with Iraqi/Kurdish laws, procedures and applicable regulations.
- Make sure that activities reports to DNGO in Baghdad are submitted on time.
- Ensure tax payment at Baghdad level, in coordination with the Finance / HR / Admin Coordinator
- Ensure an appropriate level of visibility of the organisation with the national and local authorities, as well as with donor representatives in the country
- Monitor and analyse the political, humanitarian and socio-economic context
- Based on this analysis and in collaboration with the Headquarters, contribute to the mission’s strategy, the identification of funding opportunities, and the design of new projects
- Ensure efficient internal coordination at mission level and with HQ
- Ensure overall overview on the financial situation of the mission and budget-related issues of the projects
- Organize, coordinate and support TGH national and international teams
- Support the field coordinator in the supervision and implementation of activities within Ninewa governorate
- Ensure overall coordination, follow-up and quality of the ongoing projects
- Support the Program Coordinator and Managers in the implementation and follow-up of the activities as necessary
- Coordinate the production of quality and timely donor reports (narrative and financial)
- Maintain existing / establish new partnerships with National NGOs**
- In coordination with the HQ-based Desk Manager and technical advisers, identify and actively pursue new funding opportunities
- Coordinate and/or conduct assessment and exploratory missions
- Monitor the security context and maintain regular communication with HQ
- Oversee the regular updating of the mission’s security, evacuation and medical plans
- If required, conduct security assessment on the field in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the Field Coordinator
- Ensure in particular that internal guidelines on field trips are regularly reviewed, adapted to the context and strictly enforced.
- Ensure that TGH is fully included in the existing security information and coordination mechanisms, such as the UN, INSO and the French Embassy
- Manage security incidents and crises, in coordination with HQ
Human resources and support departments
- In coordination with the HQ-based Desk Manager, define the setup of the team
- Ensure performance management for staff under direct supervision according to the internal guidelines
- Provide active support to the Administrative Coordinator and the Logistics Coordinator as necessary
This list of responsibilities could be modified according to the needs.
Educational background and experiences
- At least 3 years of experience with a humanitarian NGO including at least 2 years in a coordination position
- Experience in expatriate and national teams management
- Experience in project management
- Experience of Arabic or Muslim countries is a distinct advantage
- Good knowledge of the humanitarian environment (NGOs, UN, main donors)
- Good communication and writing skills in English, French and Arabic are an asset
- Proven ability to fundraise and write project proposals
- Good security management skills, experience in challenging security environments
- Good knowledge of accounting / financial management / logistics in a NGO context
- Good organizational and planning skills, analytical skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office pack
- Ability to anticipate and make decisions
- Sense of discipline and organization, good sense of synthesis
- Intercultural: calm, self-control, respect for cultural differences and a very good ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Dynamic, autonomous and pragmatic
- Diplomacy and self-control
- Ability to live and work in a volatile security environment
Country: Iraq / Kurdistan region of Iraq
Location: Position currently based in Erbil with field visits to Mosul office and sub-offices through KR-I and GoI as security conditions allow
Duration: 7 months – renewable depending on funding
Starting date: December 2021
Conditions: : Salaried contract, monthly gross salary from €2,900 to €3.400 according to experience in the similar position, monthly per diem 650 USD, medical coverage of 100% + repatriation insurance + provident fund, accommodation, international and local transportation as part of the mission, break every 3 months.
Family Duty Station: No
How to apply
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to Amandine RUINART, HR Officer: