Funded by USAID through the Central Africa Regional Program for the Environment (CARPE), USAID’s Forest and Biodiversity Support Activity, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development (www.tetratech.com/intdev), works with environmental stakeholders in the Congo Basin to address large-scale threats to forests and biodiversity. The Activity strengthens local institutions via targeted capacity-building, improved knowledge-sharing and communications across conservation networks, and generation of new analysis and evidence to support policy reforms and greater innovation among conservation approaches. To implement these strategies, the Activity works closely with a broad network of institutions including civil society, media, government, and other conservation and development practitioners in the countries of the Congo Basin.
The Activity is currently accepting expressions of interest for a Senior Biodiversity and Combatting Wildlife Trafficking (CWT) Specialist. The position will be based full-time in the Activity’s office in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. The Specialist will lead Activity workstreams on biodiversity conservation and combatting wildlife trafficking (CWT), including strategy development, liaising regularly with government partners and leading policy discussions, providing technical guidance to grantees, and working closely with partners within the CARPE network on knowledge-sharing on best practices for CWT and protected area management.
* Lead the biodiversity and CWT components of Activity planning, reporting, and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
* Lead engagement with government, private sector, and other institutional partners in support of the Activity CWT portfolio priorities.
* Coordinate across the CARPE network on identification of best practices on CWT and conservation and support the Activity to convene dialogues, trainings, and other information-exchange.
* Draft and/or review communications products (e.g., newsletter articles, success stories) related to CWT and biodiversity workstreams.
* Coordinate with other technical leads including the Activity Grants team and Policy Advisor to drive implementation of the activities related to biodiversity conservation and CWT.
* Identify resource and capacity development needs to support grantees focused on CWT and conservation issues, including drafting of scopes of work and identification of both internal and external training resources required to achieve Activity objectives.
* Supervise the Research Analyst, Biodiversity Conservation.
* Execute other tasks as assigned by the Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party/Operations.
* Master’s degree or the equivalent in Biodiversity conservation, wildlife management, environmental studies or a related field.
* At least seven (7) years of professional experience in the field of biodiversity conservation, wildlife management, or a related field.
* Demonstrated record of success and impacts leading implementation of activities in the areas of biodiversity conservation and/or combatting wildlife trafficking.
* Demonstrated experience in supporting legislative and policy reforms in the areas of biodiversity conservation and/or combatting wildlife trafficking.
* Demonstrated experience developing and deploying strategies to address training and capacity-building needs related to CWT or conservation.
* Prior experience working on donor funded projects in Africa; direct experience in Democratic Republic of Congo or other Central African country preferred.
* Demonstrated capacity to work independently.
* Experience writing technical deliverables including high quality reports, communications materials, training guidelines, scopes of work, or work plans.
* Professional fluency in French and English.
How to apply
To be considered, applicants must submit the following as part of the on-line process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech’s IDS ad posted.
Apply on-line at: https://bit.ly/SrBCWTSFABS
Please ensure that your Cover Letter and CV/Resume are uploaded and if noted above, any additional requested documentation as part of your application. Incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees - 21,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 450 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.