Smile Train is an international nonprofit headquartered in New York. Our mission is to transform the life of every person impacted by cleft lip and palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time..
Based in Maputo, Mozambique – Smile Train seeks to appoint a
PROGRAM MANAGER, SOUTHERN AFRICA
The overall purpose of the role is to devise, plan and implement local strategies to achieve the vision and goals of Smile Train. This colleague will ensure that Smile Train offers high-quality and safe cleft lip and palate care by effectively managing programs and partnerships across Southern Africa, including South Africa, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, Lesotho, Mozambique, Angola, Namibia, and Botswana.
Key responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
· Assist the Program Director in developing and implementing an annual budget and long-term and short-term action plans to reach as many cleft-affected children as possible with cleft treatment, as quickly as possible, in the most cost-effective manner, whilst maintaining high standards of safety and quality. Submit the budget for regional review and, once finalized, implement the same in the best possible manner.
· Within the framework of the approved budget, draw up operational plans with measurable targets, specific checkpoints, and clear financial commitments.
· Institute suitable business processes and necessary control mechanisms for the continual monitoring of financial, programmatic, and medical targets in the region.
· Assist the Program Director to receive, review, and analyze all grant requests from local stakeholders, most typically local partner hospitals, and carry out ‘due diligence’ to either reject or approve those that fall within the agreed financial authority and plans, sharing with Africa Regional Director when additional approvals are required.
· Ensure all operations are legally and financially transparent and in compliance with all local laws and laws of the U.S. that apply to local business practices.
· Be the local representative and spokesperson for Smile Train, and the ‘eyes and ears’ in the region. Speak up, when and where necessary, about the organization’s aims, values, and practices; keep track of cleft-related issues and developments and share this feedback internally and with partners.
· Lead efforts to share Smile Train’s global messaging locally and help to build the brand and awareness of Smile Train programs in Southern Africa.
· Capture and share stories, images, and videos that help to tell Smile Train’s story and that could be used across the organization to further Smile Train’s mission.
· Maintain communication with existing partner hospitals and work together to ensure success of current and future programs.
· Continually seek out new Smile Train partners that can contribute to the furtherance of the organization’s goals and elicit their support.
· Build and nurture the ‘Smile Train’ brand, developing an image of a focused, committed, ethical and caring organization upholding and furthering ‘best practices’ in cleft care. To this end, develop and maintain effective communications with all key external constituencies, e.g. medical professionals, social and voluntary organizations, government functionaries, the media and patients/guardians.
· Assist the Program Director in serving as a point of contact for operations within select countries of Southern Africa (South Africa, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, Lesotho, Mozambique, Angola, Namibia and Botswana) and communicate regularly with the Regional Director for Africa to keep the Management informed about all significant developments and key plans.
The Program Manager, Southern Africa must meet the following criteria:
· Sound professional qualifications - including a degree in Medicine, Public Health, Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or Accounting
· An MBA or MPH from a reputed School will be an added advantage
· Thorough familiarity with the languages and cultures of Madagascar and professional fluency in Portuguese and English is essential with French as an added advantage
· 3-5 years related work experience in a management position in a large multinational or national for-profit or not-for-profit organization with significant project management experience
· Ability to work with a global team, exhibiting cultural sensitivity, a commitment to Smile Train’s mission, strong time management skills, and capacity to work independently with minimal or no supervision
· Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed
Ø Smile Train is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage local citizens who are currently based Mozambique to apply.
Ø The is a 1 year contract which can be renewed for an additional 2 years.
How to apply
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday, 29th October 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org