The IRC in Arizona is welcoming evacuees from Afghanistan to the Phoenix area and developing capacities to support these families and communities. The Activity and Meal Coordinator will be responsible for planning and implementing engaging, relevant, and more culturally competent activities for families, children, and individuals, as well as coordinating mealtimes. The position will report to the Afghan Placement and Assistance Program Manager and indirectly supervise IRC staff, interns, and volunteers supporting activities and mealtimes.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Conduct an assessment to determine which types of activities are desired by clients.
· Plan, publicize, and execute activities for clients, including English language classes and activities for women and children.
· Evaluate and adapt activities to improve based on client feedback and ensure activities are engaging, relevant and more culturally competent for various client demographics with particular attention to women and children.
· Coordinate mealtimes, including logistics, staffing, and developing standard operating procedures for safety and hygiene.
· Recruit and supervise IRC staff, interns, and volunteers to support the implementation of activities and mealtimes.
· Coordinate efforts with partners and community-based organizations. Foster positive relationships.
· Collect and maintain data on participation and outputs for tracking purposes.
· Facilitate operations of activities and mealtimes including vendor sourcing and payments with support from the Operations Manager.
· Ensure activities and mealtimes follow all relevant policies and regulations with support from the Afghan Placement and Assistance Program Manager.
· Follow all IRC policies, procedures and protocols including adherence to the IRC Way and Child Safeguarding.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Afghan Placement and Assistance Program Manager**
Position directly supervises: **Interns and volunteers within program
Indirect Reporting: IRC staff, interns and volunteers supporting the program on an ad-hoc basis**
Other Internal and/or external contacts:**
Internal: Operations Manager, IRC staff, interns and volunteers
External: Community partners, employers
· Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience required.
· Previous experience in refugee resettlement services and/or lived experience desired but not required.
· Cross-cultural understanding and strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Ability to work quickly and calmly under pressure in a fast-paced work environment.
· Self-starter with ability to work independently and as part of a team to solve problems strategically.
· Strong attention to detail and organization with the ability to prioritize and manage time effectively while remaining flexible.
· Computer proficiency with an emphasis on Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Teams, Outlook).
· Proficiency in spoken Dari and/or Pashto desired but not required.
· In accordance with Arizona State Law, must possess or be eligible to receive a fingerprint clearance card.
· A combination of time spent within service delivery settings, standard office environment and remote work to perform the responsibilities outlined above.
· May likely require some weekend and/or evening work to meet the needs of the evolving situation.
· Must be able to lift 35 to 50 pounds (furniture, household supplies, and food boxes).
Benefits: We offer our employees phenomenal benefits such as paid parental leave, generous time off, and excellent medical, dental, and vision options.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.**
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.**
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.**