Position Title: Database Officer (DTM)
Duty Station: Sana'a, Yemen
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 26 October 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros;Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision Senior Field Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager (DTM), and technical guidance from the Information Management and Technology Officer (IMT Officer), the successful candidate will be responsible for implementing and coordinating large-scale data processing activities with operational role related to human mobility in Yemen.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Operation related tasks
1.Provide technical support and guidance for the management of the Displacement TrackingMatrix (DTM) Programme in Yemen with a specific focus on Multi Cluster Location Assessment (MCLA), Flow Monitoring, Surveys and Mobility Tracking.
2.Supervise and monitor the work of technical and operations staff implementing Multi ClusterLocation Assessments (MCLA), Flow Monitoring, Mobility Tracking and Surveys, including checking compliance with administrative procedures.
3.Participate in coordination meetings and other platforms in Sana’a on matters related to the North part of Yemen.
4.Contribute to the development and maintenance of data collection tools, methodologies and standard operating procedures to facilitate operations mainly in the North part of Yemen.
5.Provide user support and contribute to the development of guidelines, training materials and training sessions on the deployment, use, operation and maintenance of database and data collection systems to partners who are working on data collection in the field.
Information management related tasks (Database and GIS)
6.Contribute to the development of, and implement and update database information systems and geographic information systems to gather, store and process information required for DTM implementation.
7.Assist in information processing and analysis, including analyzing and improving the main data flow processes that are relevant to the effective collection, storage, processing, analysis and reporting of the data.
8.Work to automate data analysis and mapping for timely inputs for reporting.
9.Develop databases for new programmes and projects as needed as well as ad-hoc database systems as necessary, and provide recommendations to further improve the design of existing database systems and its interface functions.
10.Implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
11.Contribute to the development of data collection tools and/or data entry tools that meet the information needs of IOM, the government, and humanitarian partners, in close coordination with the Office of the Humanitarian Coordinator of the UN Humanitarian Country Team in Yemen.
12.Support maintenance of and training on the technologies used for database systems.
13.Visit sub-offices and field offices to provide technical support for the usage of information and database systems as needed.
13.Supervise and train as needed information management assistants and data entry clerks to ensure the quality of data entered in IOM databases.
Information products, reporting and dissemination related tasks
14.Support the Reporting Officer with analysis of data for donors, other stakeholders and for ad hoc requests to facilitate data consistency.
15.Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Database Management, Software Development, Business Administration, Mathematics, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the development and management of database information systems;
• Exposure to conflict-settings in the region and working in the large multi-cultural teams;
• Experience in the operational context of DTM;
• Experience in the development and implementation of ODK or any other mobile data collection tools; and,
• Working experience with the following tools: Access, ArcGIS and SQL.
In depth knowledge of Access, ArcGIS and SQL and database management.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 October 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 13.10.2021 to 26.10.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 235 Database Officer (DTM) (P2) Sana'a, Yemen (57213333) Released
Posting: Posting NC57213334 (57213334) Released