For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Since the start of the civil war in Syria, it is estimated that more than 400,000 people have died due to the conflict. The conflict has resulted in massive displacement of the civilian population inside the country and in the neighbouring countries i.e. Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan. According to the 2021 Humanitarian Needs Overview, more than half the population in Syria is in need of humanitarian assistance. The displacement outside the country has created more than 5M refugees, with Turkey 2.7M, Lebanon 1M and Jordan 0.7M bearing the brunt in the region, while 1.2M refugees have applied for asylum in Europe. During 2016, 3.5 million people were expected to need surgical and trauma services in hospitals, including 3.2 million emergency consultations, 67,000 war wounded cases, and 300,000 surgeries. Essential health services remain in critical shortage across the country. Insufficient human resources, supplies, equipment and infrastructure continue to disrupt the functionality of the health system. A significant proportion of health facilities is unable to provide essential care, including care for people with life-threatening chronic diseases. Some 200,000 people are believed to have died in Syria because they did not have access to routine medical care. These are in effect a “secondary death toll” to those killed by bombs and firearms.
MdM in Syria is providing primary health care to the population and wants to develop new partnerships and projects in 2021-2022. These projects will be implemented by partners inside Syria ; for security reasons, MdM does not precisely describe geographical areas of intervention.
MdM Syria mission is based in Amman, Jordan and works remotely.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the desk manager, you will be in charge of developing MdM’s operational strategy in Syria. You will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donors and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team. You will especially be in charge of exploring and developing new partnerships and new projects in Syria, and of implementing the new strategy of MdM France for Syria, in collaboration with the other chapters of MdM already working in Syria.
Your main responsibilities are the following:
Management of operations
- Implement the country strategy, supervise programme implementation and monitoring system
- Continuously assess and analyse the overall humanitarian situation in Syria
- Explore, meet (from Amman or neighbouring countries) and assess potential implementing partners in Syria, in close collaboration with the medical coordinator
- Define the modalities of collaboration and implementation with the selected partners (including negotiating and drafting MoU)
- Ensure a good, transparent and constant communication with all relevant stakeholders and especially implementing partners
- Identify potential new donors and raise funds for the mission
- Ensure that the different components of the programmes are consistent and in link with medical needs and standards
- Design proposals, donor reports and amendments of the projects
- Ensure operational compliance with MdM and donor policies and project objectives
Finance and administration
- Supervise the design of MdM annual budgets and revised budgets
- Take part in the construction of the annual and revised budgetary frame
- Ensure an adequate coordination with Jordanian authorities
HR and team management
- Manage and supervise international and national staff teams
- Work with the administration team for quality of the human resources and the working conditions of the entire mission (working contracts, salaries and wage policies, training plan, internal regulation, job description for the staff, disciplinary procedures,…)
- Define collective and individual objectives and goals for the staff under direct supervision
- Ensure briefings of any new expatriate arriving on the mission
- Supervise the design, by the advocacy advisor, of the MdM network advocacy strategy for Syria
- Participate, with the other MdM chapters working in Syria, in the definition and implementation of the advocacy strategy
- Monitor the security situation, analyze and anticipate the security evolutions, in collaboration with the security advisor based in Paris
- Define and implement safety rules up to date and guarantee their application by all the team in Jordan and in Syria if needed
- Manage and report on any security incident affecting MdM staff and assets, if any
Representation, communication and fundraising
- Ensure regular interaction, information sharing, and collaboration with other humanitarian actors (UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs), and in particular with the medical organizations with similar programs
- Ensure regular communication with other MdM chapters working in Syria
- Ensure regular and transparent communication between field and HQ, through monthly SITREP and regular discussions
- Carry out negotiations and maintain regular relations with the local authorities and other stakeholders (NGOs, donors, embassies)
- Negotiate agreements, work connections, MoUs etc. with the local authorities and the possible modifications
- Represent MdM with the local authorities, and ensure a regular communication with Syrian and Jordanian stakeholders in particular
- Be the spokesperson for MdM in Syria with local and international media, with approval of Desk Manager
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 6 months
Starting date: 1 November 2021
Based in Amman (Jordan)
Gross monthly salary: 3089 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
Living allowance (per diem) for the accompanying member if unemployed
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (minimum of 1 day per week onsite), minimum of 6 months seniority required
Given the current circumstances of Covid-19 pandemic, we are taking special measures to apply health protocols and hygiene measures to guarantee the safety of our staff.
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
Family posting possible
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Significant experience managing emergency and development projects as field coordinator or general coordinator
Experience in working with donors
Significant experience in working with local partners
Knowledge of Syrian context would be highly desirable
Experience in advocacy would be an asset
Experience in remote management would be an asset
Ability to have a global overview of a programme
Ability to make quick decisions according to the context in coordination with the team
Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
Good writing and communication skills
Strong organizational and management skills
Computer skills (Office)
Fluent english (written and spoken) mandatory
Knowledge of Arabic and/or French would be an asset
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
How to apply
To apply, click on the following link: http://www.jobs.net/j/JGoBBFWL?idpartenaire=128