Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Purpose / Project Description:
Mercy Corps Colombia has operated in 17 departments since 2005, impacting more than 319,000 people, creating alliances and opportunities with the public, private and civil society with innovation, impact and influence. Our work in Colombia includes responses to both humanitarian crises and long-term development challenges. Our areas of specialization in humanitarian assistance include cash transfers (the Mercy Corps-led VenEsperanza MPCA consortium will support approximately 400,000 individuals with MPCA assistance over three years), psycho-social, and livelihoods/youth employment support. Our rural development portfolio specializes in land conflict resolution, economic inclusion and empowerment of rural women, and rural value chains.
Given the high volume of new business opportunities forecasted for Winter - Spring 2021/2022, the Colombia Team is looking for an experienced international development professional with a track record of strong program design and deep proposal development and writing experience with a variety of donors (including, but not limited to the US Department of State/Bureau of Population, Migration, and Refugees, ECHO, and other private and public donors).
The Consultant will provide strong technical design and writing inputs, as needed, for both humanitarian and development proposals. This will be best achieved by someone with a clear understanding of the underlying dynamics affecting Colombia, including migration, illicit economy, and rural development challenges. The consultant should also be able to assess and respond to donor priorities and employ his or her deep knowledge of proposal writing techniques for an array of major U.S. and European donors. The Consultant should be ready to work collaboratively with the team on the ground.
The consultant will be contracted per assignment, with exact timing and LoE dependent on upon donor requests for proposals.
The Consultant will:
- Serve as lead writer for a potential ECHO lead writer expected in January, with additional proposal development support as needed (development of annexes, etc.)
- Serve as lead writer for a PRM NOFO opportunity expected in Feb/March (for a revised Y3 Advancing the Future proposal)
- Deliver required technical annexes as demanded by specific proposal opportunities.
- Respond to other new business opportunities as needed.
Consultant Deliverables and Timeframe:
The Consultant will:
- Lead and engage in collaborative program design activities with the Mercy Corps team members and other key partners/stakeholders
- Manage the proposal development process, clearly defining contributions expected from participating Colombian and HQ stakeholders
- Draft high quality narratives and attachments that respond to donor scoring requirements, strategies, and preferences
- Incorporate feedback from reviewers on proposal narratives and technical attachments.
The consultant will spend up to 60 days on these tasks, between now and March 31, 2022. Each specific proposal opportunity will be subject to approval of an internal Go / No-go process.
The Consultant will report to:
Director of Programs, Mercy Corps Colombia
The Consultant will work closely with:
- Mercy Corps Colombia Country Director and Program Managers
- VenEsperanza Consortium Director
- Mercy Corps headquarters team members including new business and subject matter experts
- Key international and local partners and supporting institutions, as required
Required Experience and Skills:
- 5+ years of experience and proven track record in successful program design, development, and implementation for various donors; experience with development as well as humanitarian proposal writing
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong understanding of the Colombian context and Mercy Corps’ approach to programming
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines
- Master’s degree in international development or a related field preferred
- Native-level spoken and written English; Fluency in Spanish required
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to apply
To apply: http://app.jobvite.com/m?3Um35mwf