ALNAP is recruiting a senior consultant for 20 days of work to contribute to an ALNAP-led synthesis of COVID-19 evaluations undertaken by ALNAP members and other humanitarian actors since the onset of the pandemic. The details are outlined within the Terms of Reference document to the right on this page.
ALNAP will review submissions on a rolling basis and may extend the deadline, if needed. The consultant contract would span between November 2021 to April 2022, with a proposed date of publication of the evaluation synthesis of April 2022. The consultant must have 20 consultant days available between November-April 2022.
The ToR covers four components of the evaluation synthesis process:
- Support to complete the review of humanitarian evaluations of COVID-19 response (November 2021 – publication date in 2022)
- Support to finish the analysis of coded evaluations in MaxQDA (November – publication date in 2022)
- Assist in drafting/ co-author the evaluation synthesis to a publishable standard (January – March 2022). Please note that the exact deadline is also related to the expected completion date on several major joint international evaluations of the humanitarian response to COVID-19 that are ongoing now.
- Revise & edit the draft synthesis publication based on feedback from ALNAP members, peer review and other expert opinion (March – April 2022)
Evaluation synthesis consultant tasks
- Review of humanitarian evaluations of COVID-19 response & methodology
November 2021 – April 2022
Together with the ALNAP Research Officer for Evaluation and Learning, review and finalise coding of relevant COVID-19 humanitarian response evaluation reports using MaxQDA, supplemented by relevant evaluative literature (See ALNAP COVID-19 Evaluation Portal).
Provide analytical expertise and advise on the analysis framework for the review & synthesis methodology, working closely with ALNAP’s Senior Research Fellow and Research Officer for Evaluation and Learning (Please note that ALNAP has an existing coding framework & evaluation mapping, although there is room for revisions and refinement).
Estimated number of days – 5 (includes contact time with ALNAP)
Co-author / assist in drafting the evaluation synthesis to a publishable standard
January 2022 – April 2022
- Provide evaluation synthesis expertise and work with the ALNAP Secretariat in the process of extracting key findings from the evaluation review and developing a structure for the synthesis report.
- Under the direction of ALNAP’s Senior Research Fellow (who may also contribute towards sections of the synthesis), co-author a high-quality evaluation synthesis of the global humanitarian response to COVID-19 together with the ALNAP Research Officer for Evaluation and Learning.
- Respond to feedback on report drafts and make necessary changes, after external expert review, internal ALNAP quality control, copyediting and during the publication process.
- The evaluation synthesis report should be no more than 12,000 words in length.
- ALNAP intends to publish this report in April 2022 (with the exact deadline partially tied to the expected completion date of several ongoing joint humanitarian evaluations of the COVID-19 response)
Estimated number of days – 15 (includes contact time with ALNAP)
TOTAL CONSULTANT DAYS: 20.
Location: This is a remote/global opportunity.
How to apply
Application and selection process
In order to apply, please send:
A short cover letter outlining your relevant experience for this consultancy position & motivation
Your proposed daily rate
Your exact availability between November 2021 – April 2022 (20 days minimum required)
Your CV which should include details of your relevant experience to undertake this consultancy
3 writing samples (preferably at least 1 previous evaluation synthesis)
Consultants will be evaluated based on:
- Previous experience conducting evaluation synthesis, meta-analysis, systematic reviews and knowledge of various related methodological approaches
- Clearly demonstrated competence in using MaxQDA and other qualitative analysis software
- Experience and knowledge of the wider humanitarian system
- Experience drafting high-quality publications on humanitarian and development topics
- Availability and capacity to deliver the proposed outputs in the timeframe required, including compatibility between the consultant’s proposed timeframe and ALNAP’s schedule
- Value for money
You can find the ToR and details of the application process here