Action Contre la Faim (ACF) has been working in Myanmar, Central and Northern Rakhine State since 1994 providing health, nutrition, food security and livelihoods, WASH, and Mental Health Care Practices support to vulnerable Rohingya minorities and host communities. Between armed conflicts, Covid19 pandemic and political instability the context in Myanmar and especially in Rakhine State is very changing leading to a number of challenge for the implementation of activities. Under these circumstances, humanitarian actors had to be innovative and flexible to continue to serve populations. ACF has also adapted its intervention in Rakhine to meet with beneficiaries needs
therefore had to set up new monitoring and evaluation systems for the follow up of its activities.
ACF work in camps, nutrition centres, and communities focusing on three key determinants of extreme poverty; child and pregnant/lacating women (PLW) malnutrition, food insecurity and poor access to basic services. In particular, ACF in Myanmar aims to address undernutrition through a multi-sectoral integrated approach including, Nutrition treatment and Prevention, WASH, Mental Health and Psychosocial Support and Protection. ACF in Myanmar has a field office in Sittwe with sub bases in That Kay Pyin, Maungdaw.
Background and Rationale
In such a highly complex working environment, ACF had to review and adapt its intervention constantly in order to meet the population’s needs. Therefore, ACF is engaged in a cross-sector review of its Monitoring and Evaluation system in order to have timely reliable data through a system as simple as possible.
With the support of ACF expertise in data management systems (especially from MEAL and IT department), ACF in Myanmar has reviewed all emergency programming monitoring systems focusing on a need-based approach according to the following steps:
- Identification of information needs (contractual and implementation)
Based on project logical frameworks, sectoral project management team supported by the MEAL department developed Indicator Measurement Plan (IMP) highlighting the information needed for every projects.
- Definition of data management flow compatible with field limitation
Taking into account current practices, challenges and need of information, each sectoral team defined data flows and roles and responsibilities relevant to their activities. The coordination office ensure consistency between all areas and sectors,
- Definition of data collection tools
Following the previous steps, teams reviewed, created and piloted data collection forms technically validated.
Upon completion of the above steps, ACF has commenced with data entry.
Objectives of the consultancy
ACF is looking for a consultant to support the development of PowerBI reports that presents information identified in the step 1 above, based on data regularly collected across all sectors. These reports could be grouped in one or several dashboards, with a user-friendly interface in order to assist with project cycle management and reporting.
Specifically, the consultant will provide support in:
- Finalising realistic analysis plan (5 working days)
Based on developed Indicators Measurement Plans and in coordination with field team, the consultant will develop analysis plan to frame the creation of PowerBI reports and dashboards. The consultant will also advise on the number of reports/dashboard to create and their scope in order to answer programmatic needs.
- Creating dashboard answering information needs (15 working days)
Based on the collaboratively designed analysis plan, the consultant will create PowerBI real time, intuitive and user-friendly dashboards using ACF colour chart. These dashboards will be reviewed and validated by MEAL and technical teams.
- Training key staff member to maintain and develop those dashboard (10 working days)
The consultant will train and coach a selection of 3 to 5 key staff members to the use of PowerBI especially focusing on maintaining and developing the above define dashboards.
Final outputs /deliverables
The following deliverables are expected:
- Analysis plan are built for 3 sectors of intervention (Nutrition, MHPSSP and WASH)
- PowerBI dashboards are designed following analysis plan and can be easily updated using ACF IT tools for each sector with their technical documentation
- 3 to 5 staff members are trained on generic Power BI, how the reports/dashboards work and how to maintain and upgrade them, advanced BI. Team is strengthen to be able to expand and modify PowerBI dashboards and reports.
- Training material is handed over to ACF team
- The consultant will provide a final report including description of the work achieved and especially technical description of the designed dashboard. The consultant will also develop a list of recommendation and points of attention to ensure sustainability of the dashboard within ACF Myanmar.
Action Contre la Faim’s is expecting to have at least one week to provide feedback on final report before completion of the consultancy.
Qualifications of the Consultant
The consultant for the assignment must be experienced, knowledgeable, and possess the following minimum requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in computer sciences, social sciences, public health, humanitarian and /or development studies or other relevant fields. Master’s degree in fields related to consultancy is a benefit.
- Have experience and exposure in project management with NGO sector, preferably in at least one of ACF sectors of intervention (Nutrition, Health, WASH, Food Security and Livelihood, MHPSS and protection)
- Have skills in epidemiology and quantitative data analysis; skills in using excel and data software are an asset ; skills in qualitative date analysis are a benefit
- Exposure to the Rakhine context and understanding the realities of the situation.
- Experience in conflict affected areas is an asset
- Excellent written skills and spoken in English
- Highly motivated, dependable and results oriented
- Adherent to humanitarian principles as well as non-discrimination and data protection and ethics rules
- Able to work independently
- Previous experience on similar consultancy particularly in the context of NRS, Myanmar as well as language skills in Burmese or local language is an added value.
Terms of payment
The payment for this consultancy will be done after successful completion of each deliverable as per below payment plan.
The evaluation process will, at all times, remain cognisant of Action Contre la Faim’s Programme Operation Policy and Action Contre la Faim’s Staff Code of Conduct. The consultant will report to the MEAL HoD throughout the consultancy process. Furthermore, the existing line management structure of the evaluator will remain in place.
The selected consultant, with the support of the MEAL HoD will also coordinate with all relevant stakeholder of the mission (such as technical Heads of Department) to ensure an holistic multisector approach of the project.
Logistic arrangements and conditions
• The Consultant will be responsible for necessary equipment: Laptop, Internet and computer accessories; to complete assignment, working through remotely
• Under the consultant agreements, a month is defined as 22 working days, fees are charged accordingly. Consultant are not paid for weekends.
• As this consultant need to work remotely, all the related cost to this work should be included as part of the consultancy fees and the cost will not be covered separately by ACF.
• Consultant are not entitled to pay overtime
• No contract may commence unless both ACF and the consultant sign the contract
• As per Action Contre La Faim’s consultant policy, payment is made against approved deliverables.
• The candidate selected will be governed by and subject to Action Contre La Faim’s Terms and Conditions for individual contract
How to apply
Qualified candidates are expected to send their applications to ACF in English including:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover Letter
- Copy of degree/diploma
- Technical proposal including a detailed tentative planning of timeframe
- Financial proposal: please provide your daily consultancy fee with VAT included and currency should be USD or EURO
- Example of at least 2 previous PowerBI report and dashboard created
- References from organizations that have previously contracted the consultant (list of 4 reference)
- Business Registration
To firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 21st 2021 at 5:00pm (Myanmar time)