Who We Are
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace worldwide. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing, and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts around the world. Together we tackle the toughest problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front-row seat on the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The Grants and Communications Officer will help scale up USIP’s online-learning initiative (the Global Campus) through (1) the solicitation of grants from foundations, corporations, individuals, and other funding partners; and (2) through outreach and marketing. In this role, she/he will lead full-cycle grant management, oversight, monitoring, compliance, and reporting. A successful candidate will have substantial donor-relations experience and pre-existing networks and contacts. She/he will have a deep understanding of funder requirements, agreement policies, regulations, procedures, financial reporting, and donor-relationship management systems. A successful candidate will also bring strategic communications experience and expertise to strengthen outreach and marketing efforts and internal reporting to stakeholders and USIP senior leadership.
This position is based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Director of the Global Campus. USIP’s Global Campus produces online courses, podcasts, and other virtual training for a large and growing global audience. The Global Campus is part of the Center for Applied Conflict Transformation, which serves as the hub of the Institute’s thematic expertise for governments, NGOs, and individuals seeking to prevent, mitigate, and resolve violent conflict worldwide.
TARGET SALARY RANGE
Grade 13 - $103,000 - $107,00
The Institute uses the General Schedule salary tables for administering compensation. Contractor offers are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity, and the amount budgeted for the position.
• In collaboration with the Global Campus director, craft a comprehensive Global Campus fundraising strategy.
• Research, identify, solicit, and steward new corporate, foundation, and individual grantmakers in the area of online learning.
• Manage and maintain a database of funding opportunities and sources, and keep current information on proposal and reporting deadlines and grant application guidelines.
• Write coherent, organized, and compelling proposals.
• Manage and submit all aspects of the grant proposal as it relates to securing funding and outcomes reporting for specified programs.
• Track and analyze relevant grants performance and compliance data, making recommendations to improve performance and compliance as needed.
• Track, review, and ensure accuracy and compliance with timely and accurate financial reporting requirements.
• Prepare routine correspondence with existing and prospective grantmakers, including acknowledgments and letters of inquiry.
• Processes a full range of grant and agreement applications used to determine the selection of grant and agreement awards.
• Provides interpretation of laws and regulations concerning the use of Federal funds and qualifying program expenditures.
• Has full and final authority to negotiate grants and agreements within the limits of delegated authority, reviews all reimbursement requests for appropriateness, and processes payments.
• Terminates grants and agreements as the situation dictates. Closes out grants and agreements within the established closeout procedures.
Communications and Outreach:
• Oversee and conduct business development, partnership development, and marketing efforts to expand awareness of the Global Campus courses, podcasts, and training events.
• Write strategic communications and reports for stakeholders and USIP senior leadership.
• Provides advice and communication information to the Global Campus team on external communications activities.
• Develops key messages and communications materials appropriate for different target audiences.
Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree with seven (7) years of experience in grants, accounting, and/or related field required. A Master’s Degree with five (5) years of similar experience is preferred.
• 5+ years of demonstrated success in soliciting and securing grants required.
• Outstanding writing and interpersonal communication skills.
• Excellent project-management skills with a focus on grants and contract writing as well as marketing and outreach.
• Knowledge of philanthropic community (foundation, corporate and individual) at both the U.S. and international levels.
• Experience working in the fields of international relations and/or conflict management and peacebuilding.
• Ability to present grant- and contract-related issues and matters to subordinates, superiors, and colleagues.
• Advanced skill level in online grant applications.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Completed employment application, including titles, dates of hire, and salary requirements.
- Cover letter
For questions about this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: