At Samaritan’s Purse, the Gospel really is at the center of all we do! We start each day with a time of devotions and prayer and from there we go into our work empowered to make a difference in the world. Our teams are full of passionate people who want to work with excellence and serve to make an eternal impact.
A day in the life of a Chief Driller & Trainer
This position will work with the Drilling Program Manager to ensure that the planned drilling operations in South Sudan are completed and that the country program is achieving targets and delivering reliable water supply to communities in need. The Chief Driller & Trainer will operate the equipment and manage the team effectively and efficiently to achieve the best possible outcomes. They will also work to ensure that the drilling team is trained on all aspects of the operation, including the management of the drilling equipment.
- Enforces safety of staff and effectively manages the drilling team to ensure reliable operation of the equipment in order to complete work in a timely fashion.
- Trains key members of the drilling team on how to operate drilling equipment and helps to manage all challenges related to the installation of boreholes and wells.
- Works closely with the Drilling Program Manager to ensure efficient scheduling of the drilling plan so that all required resources are in the right locations and so that equipment is moved in a timely manner.
- Manages efficient use of resources as needed for drilling operations, keeping relevant records for reporting.
- Carries out routine maintenance and collaborates with the Drilling Program Manager and maintenance team to work on equipment, particularly during the rainy season. The Chief Driller & Trainer must also log equipment operational data.
- Makes use of geographical surveys and maintains records in relation to successful and unsuccessful drilling locations and reports this to the Deputy Country Director and Drilling Program Manager.
- Carries out necessary tests of borehole depth, output, and quality assessments to ensure a high standard for all outputs. This includes maintaining drilling logs and well reports to be submitted timely to the Deputy Country Director and Drilling Program Manager.
- Adheres to environmental protection standards, liaising with local authorities/actors to ensure compliance.
- Directly supervises 5 or 6 employees. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Check out why people love serving with Samaritan’s Purse: https://bit.ly/2F8Nom5
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering or some other related degree/diploma in mechanical studies; at least 4 years of relevant Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) technical experience; or some equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Competent in operating drilling machines in order to drill boreholes at various depths.
- Thorough knowledge of drilling operations within various geographical and topographical areas so that the drilling team can be successful in various parts of South Sudan. It is preferred that the candidate has a fair understanding of geological formations in South Sudan.
- Working knowledge of mechanical processes and maintenance of heavy trucks and drilling equipment in order to suitably care, maintain and management expensive/critical equipment.
- Strong computer and data management skills in order to maintain records for in-country drilling operations and to help provide effective communication back to the Drilling Program Manager and Deputy Country Director.
- Able to coach, train and mentor others.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting; field experience working in Africa, preferably with another International Non-Government Organization (INGO).
- Twelve credit hours of college-level Biblical studies is preferred.
Job Location: South Sudan
Type (Full-Time/Part-Time/Associate): Full-Time
Restrictions (Accompanied/Non-Accompanied): Non-Accompanied (no spouse or dependents)
Language Requirement: English fluency required
Travel Expectations: Frequent travel to different field locations
- Career with purpose!
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan (after 1 year)
- 10 paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- 12 vacation days per year
- Annual home leave
Samaritan's Purse Mission Statement:
Samaritan's Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan's Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God's love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.