In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial, and independent international humanitarian organisation, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organisation foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff consisting diverse nationalities, cultures and languages. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Responsible for driving and executing financial management strategy in support of the overall operational plan and strategic direction of Geneva Call (GC), including but not limited to financial accounting, budgetary management, treasury and financial reporting to donors and statutory accounts. The Head of Finance provides strategic leadership on all matters related to budget and finance and manages the financial needs of the organisation to delivery of quality outputs.
- Leading on budgetary and financial management ensuring a strategic and proactive approach.
- Evaluating structure, systems, and processes to identify areas for change and improvement and develop and implement improvements.
- Develop short and long-range goals and objectives.
- Provide financial expertise and input to management and the directorate in support of quality management of programmes and overall delivery of services.
- Provide leadership and management guidance to the finance unit
- Manage Geneva Call’s accounting and financial management activities, overseeing systems, policies, procedures and tasks of the finance team to ensure the smooth running of the services delivered.
- Assume overall responsibility for the accounting system and ensuring the accuracy and completeness of all financial records.
- Proper management of month-end and year-end closure procedures in advance of the annual audit.
- Ensure all financial obligations are paid in an accurate and timely manner (internal obligations towards other offices and external obligations, towards suppliers and other stakeholders).
- Provide regular monthly management reporting analysis as well as ad hoc requests from the Directors or the Board.
- Liaise with the Geneva Call’s external auditors, tax advisors, bankers, lawyers, stakeholders and all relevant authorities.
- Ensure the overall financial integrity of the organization.
Donor reporting and funding analysis
- Complete and submit all donor financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Monitor the funding situation and prepare monthly funding status.
- Review, contribute and prepare new programme budgets to be submitted to donors in collaboration with the Programme Managers and the finance team - Financial Controllers and Budget Officer.
- Maintain contact with field finance colleagues both virtually and with visits on a regular basis to ensure financial records and reporting is maintained
Internal Control System
- Ensure the effective implementation of the internal financial controls and undertake all aspects of monitoring to ensure the control system is aligned with organisational needs.
- Draft, maintain and enhance financial risk management plans.
- Manage the development of the overall annual budget and mid-year review of the annual budget.
- Ensure that budgets are managed and that controls are in place and working to ensure expenditure is aligned with approved budgets.
- Produces timely budget reports to all budget owners to ensure proper implementation and decision-making.
- Manages the treasury cycle, safeguarding Geneva Call’s funds at all times.
- Management cash flow against project agreement payment schedules to ensure expenditure and cash flow are fully aligned or take measures to ensure adequate cash flow is in place.
- Ensures optimal placement and management of foreign currencies received and spent
- Recruits staff taking account of geographical and gender balance.
- Manages, guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision.
- Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the unit and across organisational boundaries.
- Leads and supervises the organisation of meetings and seminars on substantive issues.
- Manages the substantive preparation and organisation of such meetings or seminars.
- Participates in international, regional or national meetings and provides substantive expertise with internal and external stakeholders.
Audit and legal compliance
- Leads on project audits for both field and HQ projects and overall responsibility for the annual statutory audit.
- Be alert and proactive with respect to all financial regulatory changes and practices which may impact Geneva Call's regulatory status.
- Performs other duties as required and as they relate to overall financial management for the organisation.
Education and experience
- * Professional qualifications as a chartered accountant or certified accountant preferred.
- University degree in Finance, Economics, or Accounting with relevant experience will be considered.
- Minimum seven years of experience in a financial management leadership position to include managing budgets of size.
- Essential to have similar years of experience in financial accounting preferably within an international organization with complex donor requirements or multinational company with external offices/locations.
- Experience working in the humanitarian sector is an advantage.
- Experience of leading technical teams in complex environments is required.
- Expert financial management/accounting skills are essential.
- Extensive experience preparing financial statements required.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to set priorities, complete work with minimal supervision, and meet deadlines.
- Advanced IT skills, particularly knowledge of Microsoft Office software. ERP such as Navision experience would also be a strong asset.
- Excellent team management skills
- Ability to prioritise and manage competing demands.
- Excellent communication in English
- Willingness to conduct international travel and conduct assignments in the field offices.
- Excellent communication skills, with fluency (spoken and written) in English. Other languages, especially French, would be an asset.
Qualifications / *Personal skills:**
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment.
- Self-starter with strong organisational and planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- An interest in Geneva Call’s mission.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position : Head of Finance
- CDI contract, based in Geneva
- Preferred start date: 12.2021
How to apply
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate / recommendation letter, diploma, and proof of non-criminal record in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, Ref: “Head of Finance” no later than 15.10.2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.