Position Title : Data Analytics Officer
Duty Station : Gaziantep, Turkey
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, five months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 28 September 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Following the adoption of the 2014 United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Resolution 2165, United Nations (UN) agencies and their partners were authorized to provide Cross-Border humanitarian relief inside of Syria. With the support of our donors, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) provides assistance to Syrians through cross border operations from Turkey. The Cross-Border initiative regularly collects and verifies data on vulnerable population groups and their accessibility to services to address priority needs, and the types of required humanitarian interventions. Eight years into the crisis, the humanitarian situation has continued to deteriorate in Syria with intensified fighting, high levels of violence, and on-going displacements across the country.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub Office (East South East and Mediterranean Region (ESEM) Region) and direct supervisor of the Senior Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for data mining techniques (anomaly detection, association learning, cluster detection, classification, and predictive modelling) to create actionable insights from a broad range of structured and unstructured data that is growing rapidly in scale. The Data Analytics Officer will be responsible for the acquisition, analysis and visualization of data from a variety of sources in order to i) help understand emerging human vulnerabilities to socio-economic and conflict-related shocks, ii) detect and highlight patterns that could indicate how people are displacing or returning from/to place of origin, and iii) gather evidence of changes in migration flow correlated with local conditions.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead and support in the development of assessments, including creation and design of questionnaires and Open Data Kit (ODK) tools and design and implementation of methodologies for data collection.
- Assist in planning, developing and implementing an integrated mechanism for information management across cross-border activities for the accurate and reliable collection, storage and processing of data in a timely manner.
- Contribute to the other preparatory phases of thematic assessments and surveys, using key lessons learned from previous rounds of data collection.
- Develop and conduct training modules for the stakeholders as required to improve quality, rigorousness and smooth roll out in information management, methodology implementation and analysis and reporting.
- Support in supervision of the data collection processes and the overall data management activities including encoding, storing, and transferring and processing data from Central Data warehouse.
- Develop, programme, oversee and maintain complex statistical databases, and conducts logic checks to maintain and assess quality of data including the design and implementation of statistical data quality procedures around new and existing data sources.
- Lead on the analysis of collected data and of big data using tools such as R, SPSS and STATA that contributes to the automation, reproducibility and timely release of analysis, visualizations and report production.
- Define, design and implement research projects harnessing existing and new big data sources to improve both understanding of population behavior, needs, and vulnerabilities as well as capacity to monitor and evaluate trends and impacts of humanitarian policies and programmes.
- Provide regular information dissemination/ statistical updates to reporting team and other colleagues on statistical nuances of sampling, data collection and analysis.
- Contribute to the project plans on the strategic uses of data and how data use interacts with data design, with special emphasis on complex and statistical analysis designs and establishing an active relationship and information exchange with Reporting team for the use and report of data.
- Assist and promote the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping by collaborating with the GIS officer in the design and production of maps, with emphasis when GIS production involves complex and statistical analysis.
- As considered by the Senior Program Coordinator, support in the recruiting, training and active management and supervision of technical staff under the framework of the programme who are involved in data management and analysis.
- Perform such other duties as may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree, post-graduate, professional certificate or other specializations in computer science, social sciences, economics, computer engineering, statistics, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Minimum of two years experience as Data Analyst in emergency or development setting. Previous experience with design, implementation and reporting of household surveys in these setting is an advantage;
• Has experience and demonstrates specialized depth and/or breadth of expertise in data analysis, data visualization, quantitative and qualitative data, Big Data and geospatial data;
• Has experience and fluent with statistical packages such as SPSS, STATA or R, knowledge of ArcGIS or any enterprise GIS software, MS Office; Adobe CC Suite, Power BI. Knowledge of R language is an advantage.
• Capable of performing data studies and data discovery around new data sources or new uses for existing data sources.
• Excellent analytical, methodical thinking and problem-solving ability, innovative at creating solutions and technical skills in data science.
• Ability to present analytical results visually including the use of advanced data visualization tools.
• Ability to identify and develop data driven insights and provide analytical support and statistical analysis.
• Creative and strategic thinker, capable of incorporating new digital data sources to improve efficiency across the development and humanitarian sector.
• Ability to design and implement statistical data quality procedures around new data sources.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Turkish, Arabic, Spanish and/or French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 28 September 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 15.09.2021 to 28.09.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2021 44 Data Analytics Officer (UG) Gaziantep, Turkey (57168854) Released
Posting: Posting NC57168855 (57168855) Released