Position Title : Project Officer (UN Network on Migration)
Duty Station : Buenos Aires, Argentina
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 September 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director of the Regional Office Buenos Aires, in coordination with the supporting areas, and the direct supervision of the Regional Policy and Liaison Officer, the successful candidate will support the coordination and will assist in specific project implementation and reporting activities as part of the project, “Strengthening IOM’s role as Coordinator of the UN Network on Migration in South America.”
The UN Project Liaison Officer will support the PM in the coordination and supervision of the systematization of best practices on Global Compact on Migration (GCM) implementation and human mobility in the region; drafting of a regional review of normative frameworks and public policies on migration governance; and the drafting of a regional report on the IMRF process.
The UN Project Liaison Officer will support the project team in the organization of stakeholder consultations, dialogues and seminars on GCM review and implementation, validation meetings with project focal points in country offices, capacity-building activities for country office staff, knowledge management sessions on the UN Network on Migration, and the establishment and convening of a community of practice.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Execute all activities necessary for the effective work of the project.
Provide technical support to the PM for the planning, organization, and implementation of the project, including trainings and any other events agreed with the PM.
In coordination with the PM, support the implementation, evaluation, and monitoring of the activities.
In close coordination with the PM and the Knowledge Management Officer, support the management, consolidation, and sharing of knowledge products and organizing of knowledge management events.
In coordination with the PM and Regional Media and Communications Officer, be responsible for the coordination of the production of visual media to build capacity of IOM staff on UNNM-related topics and issues.
Prepare financial and activity reports and other general narrative reports on the activities of the project.
Maintain contact and regularly support coordination with GCM focal points and key UNNM internal and external stakeholders, in coordination with the project team, with the aim of achieving the objectives of the project.
Develop and update the terms of reference, job descriptions, and help coordinate and follow up on the deliverables of any consultant hired by IOM to perform activities of the project.
Support the project team in the strengthening of networks and links with UNNM stakeholders through stakeholder consultations and by disseminating project information and events.
Participate and follow the International Migration Review Forum (IMRF) process actively and perform any IMRF-related tasks assigned by the PM to facilitate the process.
In close coordination with the PM and the Knowledge Management Officer, be responsible for the coordination of activities through the UN Network Hub.
Support capacity building activities related to the project and the themes of the project.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience as project/program manager on social and migration projects.
• Thorough knowledge and experience of migration management and development programs, UN development system, Global Compact on Migration, multilateral processes, Regional Consultative Processes on Migration (RCPs), and international cooperation mechanisms
• Work experience in international development and/or international cooperation, diplomacy would be an advantage.
• In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
• Knowledge of UN system and multilateral processes.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and Spanish is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 September 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 10.09.2021 to 23.09.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2021 46 Project Officer (UN Network on Migration) (UG) Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posting: Posting NC57162541 (57162541) Released