Background/IRC Summary: The IRC has a rich history of assisting refugees to apply for U.S. resettlement, from its founding in 1933 to help vulnerable individuals escape Nazi-occupied Europe, to pioneering the Joint Voluntary Agency which assisted Indochinese refugees for 22 years, to operations in Croatia, Sierra Leone and Sudan. Over the years, IRC has processed some half million refugees worldwide for U.S. resettlement.
Based in Bangkok with field offices in Thailand and Malaysia, the IRC Resettlement Support Center (IRC-RSC) assists persons throughout Asia seeking permanent resettlement in the United States. The RSC prepares refugee applications for the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program, provides information to resettlement agencies about arriving refugees and offers cultural orientation training to those refugees bound for the U.S.
Job Overview/Summary: The Staff Interpreter will provide operational support to all departments in providing language support services for applicants to the US refugee resettlement program. They will act as an interpreter of oral statements between English and Rohingya for RSC Prescreen interviews, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) interviews, and for Cultural Orientation (CO) training. Additional responsibilities will include translation work, observations, feedback sessions, assisting in the training and mentoring of new interpreters, liaising with other departments and partner agencies. Staff Interpreters will also be responsible for administrative duties related to the Interpreter Services Team.
· Provide interpretation during RSC assignments for Prescreen interviews, DHS interviews, CO training and post-processing appointments at the RSC, Malaysia
· Train and mentor new staff and volunteer interpreters as the need arises
· Conduct regular observations and related feedback sessions as assigned (M&E)
· Facilitate meetings and trainings for the team as assigned
· Complete administrative tasks as assigned including but not limited to scheduling, tracking observations, supervising translations, record keeping, and filing
· Provide interpretation and translation for regional cases including virtually and on circuit rides
· Comply with all Integrity and Compliance guidelines
· Perform other relevant duties as directed by supervisor
· University degree preferred; OR equivalent meaningful professional experience will be considered
· Experience interpreting, translating, and conducting trainings strongly preferred
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
· Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
· Strong coordination and administrative skills with an attention to detail
· Strong observation and feedback skills
· Flexible and willing to learn and take on new tasks
· Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize, coordinate, multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
· Mature, positive attitude and able to work under pressure
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and e-mail
· Proficient in English, both oral and written
· Proficient in Rohingya
· Additional knowledge of Burmese, Malay or Urdu dialects is desirable
· Ability to type in English
· Ability and willingness to travel when required
· Preference given to female candidates due to the population served**
Working Environment*:* The employee is required to adhere to the “IRC Way” for professional conduct, as well as to be in compliance with all relevant Policies and Procedures while carrying his/her duties.
How to apply
Interested candidates must apply via the following link: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/19986?c=rescue