Position title: Senior Manager, Facility Design – COVAX (Temporary)
Purpose of the position: Strategic support to the Policy Design within the COVAX Facility.
Department: Office of the COVAX Facility
Team: COVAX Design & Operationalisation
Reports to: Head, Design and Operationalisation
N° of positions supervised (if applicable): 0
Career step level: 4
Duration: ASAP until 31 December 2022
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together implementing country and donor governments, the World Health Organisation, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of more than 822 million children and the prevention of more than 14 million future deaths.
The COVAX Facility (“COVAX”) provides a global solution to the equitable distribution of vaccines to the 190 participating countries and economies. The COVAX Advance Market Commitment (AMC) is an innovative financing instrument that supports the participation of the 92 low and lower-middle income economies in COVAX. Self-financing participants (SFPs) have entered COVAX either as Optional (having the possibility to opt-out of a particular vaccine) or Committed Purchasers. Guided by the WHO fair allocation framework, COVAX will equitably distribute doses to help protect the most at-risk groups. Gavi is working with Alliance partners UNICEF and WHO to ensure that the infrastructure is in place, and the technical support available, for COVID-19 vaccines to be safely delivered to all those who need them.
The Design and Operationalisation team are responsible for developing evidence-based policies and strategies that guide the design of the COVAX Facility and to implementing its operations effectively. As a member of the Design & Operationalisation team, reporting to the Head of Policy Design, the Senior Manager Facility Design will be a key contributor in the COVAX Facility, supporting the team in the development of policies and strategies related to the design of the COVAX Facility.
- Strategic support to the Head, Design & Operationalisation, Office of the COVAX Facility;
- Lead and/or manage specific design and policy/strategy setting activities, including analyses (quantitative, qualitative), options assessment and recommendation setting in collaboration with other Secretariat teams;
- Oversee the planning and execution of consultations and engagement with key stakeholder groups to inform the development and operationalisation of the same design options (e.g., technical partners, CSOs, country governments, industry, financing institutions, etc.);
- Lead drafting of key documents (e.g. presentations, technical design documents, proposals, briefing notes, Q&A) for internal and external meetings (e.g. project team meetings, consultations, advisory committee meetings, governance body meetings, multilateral advocacy meetings).
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not limited only to the tasks listed and may include other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree in public health, health economics, development, international affairs (with experience in international development), business affairs, or related field, or other relevant qualification.
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience working in global public health;
- Experience in policy development and design of mechanisms to implement development programmes effectively;
- Grant-, project- and/or programme management experience required, including in situations of considerable complexity and political sensitivity;
- Significant experience of working in partner engagement and communications, including building productive relationships and producing high quality written materials for wide distribution and publication;
- Demonstrated track record of experience of working in fast-moving and complex multi-stakeholder environments with tact and diplomacy.
- Exceptional organisational skills;
- Effective relationship building and diplomacy skills;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills in English with demonstrated ability to synthesise complex issues into effective oral and written materials and attention to detail;
- A track record in producing high quality work on a variety of issues in a fast-paced dynamic environment;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; a logical thinker with intellectual curiosity and the ability to think strategically and creatively to interpret/synthesize large amounts of information;
- Ability to adapt and work within a multicultural, multilingual, multidisciplinary environment;
- A self-starter with exceptional planning and project management skills, and with a pro-active work attitude;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from a wide range of disciplines, backgrounds, and cultures;
- A team player, collaborative, organised, detail-oriented;
- Adaptability to changing business needs;
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Sharepoint, Teams);
- Desirable: knowledge of global health, international development and/or vaccines and immunisation.
- Written and spoken fluency in English;
- Fluency in French or another UN language is considered an asset.
- Office of the COVAX Facility;
- Gavi Secretariat teams;
- WHO, CEPI, COVAX Partners and Gavi Alliance partners.
If you wish to apply, please provide a cover letter and resume through our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on “Senior Manager, Facility Design – COVAX (Temporary).” Deadline for applications is 28 September 2021.
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.
In support of Gavi’s commitment to diversity, equality and inclusion, we hire globally and welcome applications regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, national origin, family status, sex, gender identity or expression, physical characteristics, race, religion, spirituality or sexual orientation.