Position Start Date: October 18th, 2021
Duration: 3 months
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Terre des hommes does not set closing date for this position. Recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh has established a Country Office in Nigeria since mid-2017 and contributes to the crisis’ response by providing child protection and education in emergency services, nutrition and healthcare assistance to most vulnerable children and their families. Tdh also provides some necessary basic services regarding access to drinking water, sanitation facilities and hygiene.
The TdH Country Representative (CR) is responsible for overall leadership and supervisory management of TdH staff, programming, and operations, including program quality and accountability, stewardship of resources, staff safety and security, performance management and external representation.
The ad interim Country Representative will assume the CR’s duties during the scheduled 3-months leave period.
Essential duties: The ad interim CR will be directly responsible for the overall coordination and strategic direction of the operations. S/He will maintain continuity of the current emergency response, while exploring the possibility of developing “mid-term/long-term needs programs”. S/He is expected to manage responsive and effective operations implemented both directly and with Nigerian partner organizations. S/He will run the country delegation in pursuing the outcomes identified in the country strategy, bringing them together to deliver high-quality, cost-effective programming results with high levels of accountability.
Moreover, the CR ai will provide oversight for directly supervised senior executive/technical officers; leading country management team (CMT) to identify, design and deliver responsive, high-quality programs; ensuring efficient management of public grants and private funds for results, compliance, and focused, timely reporting; and oversight of financial management and compliance systems. To this end, the CR will set-up and lead a country management team (CMT) to identify, design and deliver responsive, high-quality programs, as well as ensuring efficient management of funds.
Major Responsibilities: Leadership and Representation
Strategic Direction, Program Quality and Growth
Safety and Security Management
Staff Management, Learning and Development
Stewardship and Operational Management
Child Safeguarding Policy
- Education: University degree in related field
- Program management and development experience at senior level
- Proven abilities in all aspects of project design and implementation
- Familiarity with UN, US and European donors and their rules, requirements and guidelines
- Experience of working with local stakeholders – demonstrated ability to collaborate with peer agencies, local government and community leaders to work effectively towards a common and agreed upon results
- Demonstrable experience in capacity building of partners (Civil society, public and/or private sector)
- Experience living in a post-conflict and conflict environment
- Africa experience is desirable
- Language: Excellent oral and writing skills in English
- Mastery of the basic computer tools (Word, Xcel, PPT etc).
Expatriate contract under Swiss labor code; salary range: 3’800 CHF – 5’200 CHF net /month (according to experience) x 13. Holidays: 25 annual leave days per year. Local accommodation and transportation, health insurance, accident and medical repatriation insurance, return flight.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies:
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure, raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested to join our committed team to face this challenge?
How to apply
Please applying directly online: http://www.jobs.net/j/JbXHgMVP?idpartenaire=20007 Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process (with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thank you for your understanding).
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418