Cotabato City with frequent travel to project locations in the Municipalities of Datu Hoffer and Shariff Aguak, Province of Maguindanao, Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).
The Community Development Facilitator (CDF) will work under the overall direct supervision and guidance of the Project Manager. She/he supports to ensure the effective, efficient, quality management of Islamic Relief USA funded project, “Community Resiliency through Ecological Integrity (CORE). The CORE project is a Sadajah Jariyah on Resilient Communities through COVID-19, Water and Climate Actions.
CORE is a 24-month project which focuses and promotes “Sadaqah Jariyah” that brings about positive effects on a community in the long-term, beyond immediate relief through installing durable water system where the poor and most vulnerable people in the communities of Datu Hoffer and Shariff Aguak municipalities in the province of Maguindanao, Philippines will be able to access affordable, quality and potable water and helping poor families start a community-based enterprise which is foreseen to continue generating profit for the long-run.
The Community Development Facilitator working closely with the Project Officer provides essential support to the team to achieve project success. She/He will also closely work with MEAL, Finance, Admin and Logistics, Human Resources, Advocacy and Communications teams about project management, planning, and implementation.
Overall, the CDF working with the Project Manager, the Project Officer and the project team shall ensure delivery of a range of tasks i.e., effective planning and implementation of project activities, timely and quality donor reporting, liaison, and networking with relevant local government units (LGUs), Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARRM), provincial and national government agencies, other I/NGOs, UN agencies, faith-based sector and leaders, local NGOs, and the private sector.
Project Key Objectives:
Overall, CORE is a “Sadaqah Jariyah” for poor communities and public service delivery facilities to access quality and affordable fresh water for domestic, commercial, and agricultural use. Moreover, CORE is envisaged to address economic and resiliency gaps.
Expand the Level III water system of the community-based cooperative.
Sustainable livelihoods through an income generating facility established.
Communities are aware, educated, and acting for resilient and sustainable development.
Communities are aware, educated, and acting for water and climate resiliency.
Project partners, relevant stakeholders, and project implementers acquired competencies on water and sanitation, resilient and sustainable development, and climate resiliency.
The holder of this position will be a proactive individual, people-centred, and keen to support the development of selected communities. The CDF is expected to be flexible in the conduct of their work on the ground with the communities and project partners.
The CDF will assist the CORE project team in the delivery of projects to individuals, families,
communities, and partners. This will include completing a range of tasks to support the planning, preparation, delivery, monitoring, and reporting of project activities at the field and office level and serve as the liaison between the community and the CORE Project Team.
And the CDF works closely with the project team and particularly with the Project Officer and project partners, on the ground, with regard the following key aspects of the project.
Community-based water system (Level III)
Community-managed small scale water refilling station with related service assets)
Plant nursery (native trees, etc.)
Capacity Building Activities
Water-based enterprises development
Ecosystem-based resilient livelihoods
Cooperative management, governance, and financial management
Ecological integrity and community resiliency
Climate, water, and COVID-19 resiliency
Community problem solving, climate and community resiliency
Behavioral change communication
Organising, Mobilising, Advocacy and Influencing
Organising, planning, and mobilisation of youth
"Mashwara" or Inter-faith and Inter-cultural dialogue (On community responsibility, climate, and water resiliency.
Robust Evidence-based Project Framework, Learning, and Knowledge Product Development
Learning Plan and Learning/Research Paper
Annual project review with stakeholders
Project and Team Management:
- Supports the planning, management, and implementation of the project in line with the approved project documents.
- Establish strong teamwork and good professional relationship within the project team and inter-teams.
- Supports mentoring, coaching of the community and youth leader and the project partners, and provides proper feedback.
- Support in the development of a project implementation plan with clear benchmarks and ensure monitoring of progress against the benchmarks.
- Ensures the project is compliant and adhere to development and humanitarian principles i.e., Do No Harm, Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability (CHS), Minimum Economic Recovery Standards (MERS), etc.
- Ensure that safeguarding, protection, and inclusion principles are mainstreamed in all the project activities. And that, overall, the project is compliant with Islamic Relief’s safeguarding, protection, and inclusion policies.
- Support and/or lead the proposal development of new or follow-up projects based on lesson learning when asked by the management.
- Supports in ensuring that all project-related records are held, created, or used.
Project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensures that all project assessments, review, monitoring, lessons learned, and evaluation processes are followed including supervision of internal and/or external review.
- Collaborate with MEAL team in ensuring project MEAL-related processes are in place and implemented.
- Provides guidance and support to partners and/or project team in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting.
- Ensures that donor reporting requirements and standards are met including writing and timely submission of project updates and quality reports.
- Ensures continuous improvement in reporting and analysis by using Islamic Relief project management standards.
- Ensures that stakeholders are informed of the project accomplishments and/or highlights regularly.
- The CDF closely works with the Project Manager, Project Officer, and the Finance team concerning spending, forecasting, budget versus actual, analysis, etc.
Networking and Partnership Building
- When delegated, represent Islamic Relief Philippines in events and meetings organised by the UN agency, I/NGO, institutional donors, faith-based organisations, private sector, etc.
- Establish strong rapport with like-minded organisations, and other actors to generate support, a pool of expertise, and resources for the project.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Ready to support any emergency-related actions.
- Supports in ensuring community and youth leaders understand and can perform their roles in an emergency.
- Contribute to developing the organisational strategic plan.
- Performs other tasks that are needed to ensure deliverables of project implementation are met.
- A Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in development studies, social science, project/programme management, environment management, community development or any other related field.
- Minimum of 1-2 years working experience in an I/NGO sector with at least 1 year in a similar position.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting a project team.
- Technical knowledge and expertise in sustainable livelihoods, enterprise development, peacebuilding, governance, community development, climate, and water resiliency, etc.
- Theoretical and practical understanding of the development and humanitarian programming.
- Experience in managing partnerships and proven experience of forming consortia/networks
- Sound knowledge and experience of working with communities through participatory approaches.
- Excellent communications skills – able to communicate and report on technical points, both oral and in writing
- Problem solving and self-management.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Good financial management skills with knowledge of budgeting and cost estimation.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work sensitively with people from various cultural, faith, and social backgrounds.
- Good IT skills with knowledge in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Fluency in Filipino and English (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of Tagalog and local dialects (Maguindanaoan, Teduray, Bisaya, etc.) is an advantage.
- Commitment to Islamic Relief mission, vision, and core values.
- PMD Pro or any other relevant project management qualification is an advantage.
- Strong understanding of the BARMM development and humanitarian contexts and has experience working in BARMM.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send their CV with a cover letter on or before September 20, 2021, to HR.Philippines@islamic-relief.org.ph with email subject CORE Community Development Facilitator Application.
Islamic Relief Worldwide is a humanitarian and development organization and working in livelihood WASH, and DRR sectors in line with our vision of a caring world where communities are empowered, social obligations are fulfilled, and people respond as one to the suffering of others. We work regardless of ethnicity, religion, political affiliation or gender.
Selection will be based on application letter, CV, interview, and other relevant documents (as requested). Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Note: We need to fill in this role as soon as possible therefore we may stop considering job applications before the closing date as soon as suitable applications are received.