Position Title : Project Manager (UN Network on Migration)
Duty Station : San Salvador, El Salvador
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 September 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The United Nations established a Network on Migration (Network) to ensure effective, timely and coordinated system-wide support to Member States to implement, follow-up and review the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration (GCM).
The Network consists of members of the UN system for whom migration is of relevance. The Network operates with IOM as the Coordinator, and an Executive Committee (EC) which provides overall guidance and sets strategic priorities. The Network’s Executive Committee members are ILO, IOM, OHCHR, UN DESA, UNDP, UNHCR, UNICEF and UNODC and WHO.
A Network Secretariat has been established to support the work, under the overall authority of the Director General of IOM, who serves as the Network Coordinator. The Secretariat is responsible for servicing the work of the Network and is based in IOM Headquarters (HQ) in Geneva.
The European Commission (DG INTPA) has decided to support IOM in its capacity of Coordinator of the Network, in particular in the roll-out of the strategic deliverables of its workplan which including enhancing capacity building efforts for GCM implementation, follow up and review in countries and regions and, supporting a Knowledge Platform and a Connection Hub. Through the EU-UN Migration Capacity Building Programme, the Network will provide joined-up capacity building support to three GCM champion countries.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, and in close coordination with the Senior Programme Manager in the UN Migration Network Secretariat and relevant programmatic areas in IOM El Salvador, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management, implementation, monitoring and reporting of activities funded under the EU-UN Migration Capacity Building Programme in El Salvador.
The Project Manager (UN Network on Migration) will support strong collaborative approaches on project implementation between all constituent parts of the Network in country, in a strong coordinated approach within the UN Country Team and the RC, the government and relevant stakeholders.
The Project Manager (UN Network on Migration) will perform secretariat duties to the Network on Migration within the UNCT, promoting UN system-wide responses in migration matters in the country, and in particular with regards to support to GCM implementation, in liaison with the Network secretariat in HQ.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop and maintain collaborative approaches within the UN Network on Migration in El Salvador. Promote UN system-wide support on migration matters to government, stakeholders and donors.
Provide recommendations to advance GCM implementation in El Salvador, work with the UNCT to articulate the linkages between the GCM and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, embed the project activities within country development planning and budgeting, Common Country Analysis documents, UNSDCFs, and other relevant planning frameworks in coordination with the Network Secretariat in HQ.
Provide thematic guidance, planning, technical and operational advice on migration and development related issues in country and advise the Network Secretariat in HQ accordingly.
Develop, implement and monitor administrative and operational activities of the project in line with IOM policies and donor requirements.
Oversee project support staff in country to ensure prompt and high-quality delivery of activities. Identify, propose, contract and monitor external experts for the development of project activities.
Prepare or ensure timely preparation and submissions of all project reports according to IOM and donor formats as required and in close coordination with the Network Secretariat.
Prepare regular project updates for the EU-UN Migration Capacity Building Programme, summaries, visibility materials and other relevant project materials in close coordination with the Senior Programme Manager in the Network Secretariat.
Stay abreast of policies, international standards and best practices relating to migration and development in pilot country and EU development cooperation.
Perform secretariat duties for the Network on Migration in El Salvador, in liaison with the Network on Migration in HQ. Coordinate, organize and participate in Network meetings, workshops and seminars.
Carry-out in-person capacity building activities where feasible and design alternative capacity building methods where duty travel is restricted for mid and long-term periods.
Undertake duty travel, including travel to provide technical assistance to and monitor progress in the project pilot country as well to ensure project visibility.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political Science, Law, International Relations, Development or International studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the field of international development and migration governance, including operational and field experience, project development and management at country or regional level;
• Demonstrated experience in inter-agency coordination, and skills to foster collaborative approaches between a wide range of actors; experience liaising with national, regional and international institutions is a requirement; and,
• Experience in the design and facilitation of capacity building activities and products, including training, curriculum development for government officials and/or other audiences on migration and development.
• Good knowledge of migration policies. Experience in liaising with EU institutions is as an advantage;
• Proven analytical and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous critical tasks;
• Good written and oral communication skills, good analytical skills;
• Capacity to work independently under pressure with tight deadlines; and,
• Proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team of colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and Spanish is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 September 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 10.09.2021 to 23.09.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 219 Project Manager (UN Network on Migration) (P3) San Salvador, El Salvador
Posting: Posting NC57162408 (57162408) Released