Job Purpose & Scope
Reporting to the Farmer Communication Programme (FCP) Coordinator and working in close collaboration with the Infonet Project Manager in Zurich, the Infonet Content Manager (ICM) will work to ensure the relevance, development, and completeness of content on the Infonet
knowledge platform, ensure regular updates with relevant scientific evidence, ensure fitness to target user needs and create wide awareness to many and diverse users, platforms, partners and apps.
Infonet is positioned to contribute to the continental agenda of accelerating adoption of ecological organic agriculture (EOA) currently spearheaded by BvAT and partners under its AUC given mandate as the official host of the Continental Secretariat. Infonet becoming one of the knowledge platforms of the Knowledge Centre for Organic Agriculture (KCOA) in Africa can become vital information platform for the EOA country implementing partners (CIPs) and their associates in the continent.
S/he coordinates the content review in Infonet database; collaborates directly with scientists and subject matter experts for content development and review, ensures user engagement by responding to users requests in a timely manner and engage them in meaningful knowledge exchange and work directly with FCP pathways and other tools and partners for user feedback integration. The job holder will be required to create awareness and increase Infonet visibility across many and diverse platforms, partners and apps in collaboration with programs and partner organizations for continental outreach.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Content and database management: review existing content, facilitate development of new content, oversee content upload and formatting to the database according to content development plan and defined system boundaries in collaboration with the Infonet Project Manager in Zurich
- Content creation, review and update: source and coordinate and engage active network of scientists, research institutions and subject matter experts in human, plant, animal and environmental health (4H) subjects to develop and review content.
- Manage and update the image database, ensuring quality and copyright compliance.
- Collect and analyse user-feedback and web user statistics to inform considerations and recommendations for content development.
- Work closely with FCP pathways and like-minded partners to identify content gaps and ensure integration of user feedback in content updates and exchange on how to increase use of Infonet by farmers, consumers, practitioners and other users.
- Ensure that contributions are consistent with strategy and positions of BvAT and the back donors, they are ecologically sound and in line with principles of organic agriculture and agroecology.
- Continuously monitor the functioning of the platform and take appropriate actions to respond to any technical issues that may arise in collaboration with the local IT team to ensure smooth functioning.
- Provide online and field trainings on Infonet content and use, to interested farmers, trainers, organizations and institutions working with farmers and students and experts.
- Promote the visibility and value of the Infonet database to like-minded institutional partners, networks and platforms to amplify its access and use.
- Develop communication products to increase understanding of Infonet with appeals to users especially farmers, practitioners, other platforms, networks and development partners.
- Develop relevant performance criteria and indicators to monitor and evaluate the use and impact of the platform and the database.
- In collaboration with the project team, develop ideas and test new functionalities, interfaces, apps and partnerships to reach out to the African continent.
- Participate actively in targeted events for information dissemination activities such as field days, agriculture related exhibitions, conferences and workshops, international presentations and networking and formal and informal meetings with likeminded organisations.
- Link up with other KCOA Hub partners across the African continent in Southern, West, North, Eastern and Central Africa to assess available knowledge products, identify hubspecific needs, review, validate and disseminate content to the hubs through Infonet.
- Manage the administration of local contracts with the IT team and content experts, finances, reporting, monitoring, controlling and evaluation.
- Develop grant-winning concept notes and proposals including budgets, logframes and planning documents for Infonet, and any other related project activities.
- Report as required and periodically on schedule on the progress, performance and budget execution against the M&E framework and budget lines of the project.
Education and Knowledge
The position requires an experienced professional with sound knowledge, understanding and practical skills in organic agriculture/agroecology, sustainable technologies and related fields; coupled with proficient use of ICT applications and experience in web/database management;
Specifically, the preferred candidate should possess:
- Master’s degree in Natural Sciences such as Agriculture, Ecology, Biology, One Health, Environmental Sciences or related fields.
- Scientifically well-versed person who is highly motivated, works precisely with a high attention to detail to develop high-quality content together with scientists.
- Sound knowledge of Community Development, Project Management and related qualification from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- ICT/ IT or related qualification from a recognized institution of higher learning, experience to work with databases / large data.
At least 5 years’ relevant experience in ecologically organic agricultural programs and projects.
Specialized Knowledge and skills required
- Excellent content creation and writing skills, capable of breaking down scientific complexity into simple language.
- Capable of managing and overseeing large data with precision and high attention to detail.
- Affinity to IT and database management and handle also repetitive work and large amounts of data.
- Affinity to sourcing and sharing scientific work.
- Ability to plan and work with low supervision and high level of independence.
- Skills in conducting content reviews to eliminate redundant and/or duplicate information.
- Ability to prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
- Ability to create strategies to grow subscriber base and web traffic metrics.
- Able to develop ideas and processes and clearly expresses them.
- High degree of independent judgment.
- Hands-on, creative, capable of thinking out of the box.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to work with multiple and international teams.
- Sound knowledge of project management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Ability to interact and build strong relationships with various internal and external stakeholders, experts, partners, content providers, etc.
- Understanding of and personal commitment to ecologically sustainable agriculture.
- Willingness and ability to travel locally, regionally and intercontinentally.
- Evidence of a well-established network with scientists, NGOs, Government Departments and Development partners in East Africa and/or continental.
- Team player, good communicator (both written and spoken), excellent interpersonal skills, self-motivated and go-getter,
- High regard for ecologic farming, sustainable practices and farmer needs
- Strong relationship management and capable networker
- Excellent time management
- Ability to prioritize workload and demonstrate deliverables/outcomes,
- Good understanding of financial management and reporting processes
- Fluency in oral and written English and French.
How to apply
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above job and can clearly demonstrate you meet the qualifications required, please submit your application letter and updated curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: Infonet Content Manager.
The closing date for applications is 24 September 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Biovision Africa Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer