Islamic Relief Worldwide is an independent humanitarian and development organisation, serving humanity for over 37 years. With an active presence in over 40 countries across the globe, we strive to make the world a better and fairer place for those affected by poverty, conflicts and natural disasters.
IRW is currently recruiting for the position of ‘Programme Manager - Global Hunger Prevention and Response (PM-GHPR)' to join its dynamic International Programmes Division based in Birmingham, UK. The purpose of the role is to lead and manage a $6m one-year emergency programme funded by Islamic Relief USA on hunger prevention and response in 9 countries (Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Niger, Somalia, South Sudan and Sudan). The programme targets vulnerable populations experiencing food insecurity at IPC 3-5. The PM-GHPR will be responsible for managing the project implementation, ensuring that project deliverables and results are being achieved effectively and efficiently. The incumbent will be responsible for assuring that the project is implemented within the agreed scope of work and in compliance with IRUSA’s regulations and within IRW’s policies and processes.
The successful candidate must have or be:
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- A graduate degree or Masters’ Degree or in-depth experience in relevant field required (e.g. International Relations, International Development, Humanitarian Affairs or equivalent experience in development/humanitarian areas)
- An in-depth understanding of international development issues
- Demonstrate extensive experience of managing and implementing multi-country funded project
- Understanding of food insecurity and resilience programming demonstrated through management of projects
- Excellent written and spoken English is required for this post. Working knowledge of French is desirable
· Qualified in PMD-Pro Project DPro and or any other Project Management professional qualifications is desirable
· Track record of working in a similar role with an International NGO
· Well versed and with proven capabilities of understanding the key aspects of emergency food insecurity and resilience programmes within the context of international development and humanitarian interventions.
· Demonstrated experience of working with various stakeholders
· Ability to work extensively with a team and or on their own both during field visits and or from the desk
· Knowledge of the key critical areas impacting the international development sector, including awareness of SDGs, faith-based initiatives, CHS, Humanitarian principles etc.
If you are talented, reliable, service minded, resilient and a highly motivated professional looking for a meaningful career, with a strong commitment to IRW’s mission and values of sincerity, excellence, compassion, social justice and custodianship, please apply by completing our online application form.
For more information on the excellent company benefits we offer our employees, please visit:
PLEASE NOTE: Written test for candidates shortlisted will take place on 27th September 2021 and those who are successful will be invited for interviews on the 4th and 5th October 2021
Any employment with Islamic Relief will be subject to the following checks:
- screening clearance
- proof of eligibility to live and work within the UK
- receipt of satisfactory references
Please note, for UK based roles, we are only able to accept applications from candidates who are eligible to work in the UK. We are unable to progress applications which would require sponsorship.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
IRW is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom IRW engages. IRW expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records checks. IRW also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment.
By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Applicants should be sympathetic to the values of Islamic Relief:
(Sincerity, Excellence, Compassion, Social Justice and Custodianship)Islamic Relief is an equal opportunities employer