The Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) helps to reduce vulnerabilities and strengthen resilience by responding to disasters and crises and by supporting community and institutional risk reduction and preparedness. In the Netherlands with more than fifteen thousand volunteers and internationally with the aid of specialists or by sending relief supplies or money. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
In Response to the Haiti Earthquake of 14 August 2021 we are looking for an Emergency Project Coordination Delegate to be based in Les Cayes (South Department in Haiti) with frequent field visits to the target area.
Position title: Emergency Project Coordination Delegate
Duty station: Les Cayes, South Department, Haiti
Time period: 8 months
Starting Date: 10 October 2021
Status: Single posting/R&R
An earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 has occurred in the southern part of Haiti on 14 August 2021. A large number of people were affected, mainly in the departments of Sud, Nippes and Grand Anse. Together with the Haitian Red Cross, the NLRC has offered immediate response in supporting search and rescue and the direct distribution of available relief items. Currently, this support is continuing and the NLRC field team is working on repairing affected water supply systems. The team is lead by a temporary Project Coordination Delegate. The advertised Emergency Project Coordination Delegate will take over from her and will engage mainly in the early recovery phase, which will mainly focus on WASH recovery systems and other recovery (to be designed).
Place in the organisation
The Emergency Project Coordination Delegate will lead a team of predominantly Haitian national staff and one WASH Delegate (expatriate) and will be based in Les Cayes. **
The Emergency Project Coordination Delegate is a member of the Netherlands Red Cross Haiti delegation and reports to the Country Representative who is based in Port au Prince.
Purpose of the position
Ensure the proper completion of the relief phase in coordination with other actors, including the IFRC and Haitian Red Cross Society (HRCS), and that all emergency needs are covered. Kick start the early recovery phase, which mainly focuses on Water systems rehabilitation and other Early Recovery elements.
Ensure good coordination with other actors and the relevant mandated government instances.
Ensure proper communication with NLRC HQ and ensure timely and accurate progress reporting.
The project coordination delegate will formally lead the following 2 projects:
Haiti Earthquake response bilateral support
WASH activities under ECHO project, under the leadership of the IFRC (pending donor decision)
· Be the coordinator of the emergency operation in the South Department;
· Manage Support & Project teams (10-20 staff) of predominantly national staff;
· Oversee and ensure procurement of relief items and ensuring swift availability;
· Oversee and ensure procurement of recovery material;
· Ensure that the project activities are well planned and meet the requirements of the community and donors;
· Be in regular contact with other humanitarian actors, HRCS and other Red Cross colleagues, Governmental institutions, (I)NGOS to insure good synergies;
· Establish and ensure effective working relationships with the other NLRC colleagues in country & HQ, as well as colleagues from HRCS, IFRC and other PNSs;
· Be the budget holder of the project(s) and ensure adequate monthly reporting to the Port au Prince Office;
· Manage the effective and proper use of assets, financial resources and facilities according to standard procedures in order to comply with auditing requirements;
· Support the monitoring, and after action reviews/rapid impact evaluations of livelihood, WASH and DRR/CCA projects undertaken in order to identify lessons learned – and with a view to a potential scale up;
· Strengthen the HRCS capacity by providing them guidance in the field.
The Red Cross seeks employees with talent and excellent competencies for a position and is not guided by cultural background, physical limitations, gender identity, religious beliefs, orientation or age.
· Fluency in written and spoken English and French;
· Experience in emergency, early recovery settings;
· University (Masters) Degree or advanced degree in humanitarian aid, disaster management or other fields with relevant experience;
· Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement;
· Demonstrated orientation on results, process, and people;
· Excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and coaching skills;
· High level of patience as well as cultural sensitivity;
· Experience in project identification, formulation, planning, management and implementation, reporting and monitoring and evaluation;
· Knowledge in Finance & Logistics.
· A full time appointment for 8 months.
· A flexible and human centred working environment in an international environment with a variety of international organizations;
· Well balanced employment conditions with space for initiative and development.
How to apply
· Please send your CV and letter of motivation in English with reference to Rob Vugs latest on the 1st of October 2021 via https://werkenbij.rodekruis.nl/nl/Vacature/Solliciteren/202381/job
· For further information regarding the position please, contact M. Yvan Trapet, Country Representative in Haiti of the NLRC via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
An initial assessment of candidates short-listed is part of the selection procedure.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, The Netherlands Red Cross reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date for applications.**
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross, please visit www.rodekruis.nl
NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis.