Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, is committed to having a diverse team where individuals of all backgrounds collaborate and learn from one another. We believe we can be most effective with diverse experience and expertise in our team. We recruit on merit, actively seek diverse applicant pools and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, marital or parental status, or sexual orientation, and welcome all types of diversity.
We offer in addition to salary:
- an innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays
Plus, during deployment for relocated candidates:
- location-specific hardship allowance
- a 3-month Rest & Recuperation cycle, including additional leave and travel
The Finance and Administrative Officer will be responsible for providing financial, administrative, logistical, procurement and compliance support to the Bangladesh Program and to the wider TWB Crisis Team, reporting to the Operations Manager. This includes, but is not limited to, financial, administrative, human resources, logistics, procurement and compliance, and other support with a main focus on finance.
- Maintain the petty cash flow requirements of the program: create and maintain documentation of petty cash flow and administer and process all petty cash transactions following TWB policies and procedures
- Ensure in consultation with Operations Manager and Program Team that the program accounts for all activities are in accordance with national and local Taxation and VAT requirements
- Ensure, in consultation with the Operations Manager and Program Team that transparent accounting and systems are developed and implemented in accordance with contract and organizational requirements
- Capture transactions in books of accounts, support the operations manager in the production of monthly financial reports
- At a local level, remain actively involved in all financial accounting matters, including maintenance of the general ledger, balance sheet, receipts, payments and payroll requirements and support the Operations Manager and Country Director in tracking projects and operational expenses, all statutory legislation, particularly with regard to company’s post registration affairs and fulfilling the reporting obligations of the branch office.
- Calculate monthly TDS and VDS based on invoice/transaction list to ensure correct amount of deposit upon proper review
- Filing of monthly VAT return
- Preparation and submission of quarterly statement to central bank through authorized bank upon ensuring review with the complete flow of information
- Filing half yearly withholding tax return
- Check calculation of salary tax on monthly basis and adjust/update them considering the required investment proof from employees and its tax rebate in due course
- Filing annual statement of Salary
- Filing statement regarding tax return filing status of employees
- Check the updates on local labor laws and advice to integrate them
- Receive guidance on compliance aspects throughout and integrate them in our ways of working
- Perform internal compliance review as part of our own real time evaluation and remain well complied.
- Provide general administrative support including preparing written documentation, maintaining the filing system, note taking, arranging meetings, etc.
- Management of office inventory
- Organize equipment as and when required, coordinate any necessary maintenance as tasked
- Support in organizing program activities such as training sessions, research, translations, monitoring and evaluation, meetings, etc.
- Ensure all paperwork related to personnel records and systems are properly filed and kept up to date
- Support the HR Team with recruitment administration such as posting advertisements, coordinating interview arrangements and assisting with onboarding new employees
- Assist the Operations Manager to ensure that TWB in Bangladesh is well informed and works within legal requirements
- Accurately collate any other information as required to assist with payroll preparation.
Logistics and Procurement
- Assist with the setup of an efficient logistics and procurement filing system, including asset management, facilitate periodic physical verification and coordinate with the Finance Team
- Support the team with procurement including identifying suppliers, collecting quotations, preparing Purchase Request Forms and Purchase Orders, collecting goods, dispatching goods and organizing transportation- adhering to TWB and donor procurement policies
- Assist in managing travel as required such as: arranging visas, booking flights, amending flight reservations, booking hotels, arranging local permits, coordinating transport arrangements, etc.
Please note that these responsibilities may change over time. The role will evolve along with the overall program as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and implementing agencies.
The Finance and Administrative Officer should be an innovative self-starter with a strong sense of initiative, an understanding of the humanitarian sector and/or the language industry, enthusiastic about the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language. The right candidate is an energetic team player who agrees with TWB´s basic beliefs and values and who can work virtually with team members based throughout the world.
- Experience in supporting finance, compliance and administration functions
- Previous experience with non-profit organizations, particularly in disaster relief
- Understanding of the humanitarian sector and/or the language industry
- Good time management skills and attention to details
- Able to work with on-location teams and remote global teams
- 4 years’+ experience in a finance, compliance and administration role, ideally in a support services/finance focused role for another INGO
- Educational background in accounting, finance and/or administration
- Previous experience in compliance support, procurement and logistics
- Tech savvy and willing to explore new technologies
- Fluency in Bangla is essential
- Strong written and spoken English is essential
- Good command of Chittagonian and/or Rohingya is a plus.
Since 25 August 2017, more than 700,000 Rohingya refugees escaping violence in Myanmar have sought protection in Cox’s Bazar district, Bangladesh. Some 91 percent live in highly congested makeshift settlements and camps and face challenges accessing basic services, including food, water and education. This is the largest mass refugee movement in the region in decades. An unknown additional number remain stranded, internally displaced or on the move in different parts of the three northern townships of Rakhine.
TWB provides humanitarian partners working in the response with language expertise and services.
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders believes that everyone has the right to give and receive information in a language and format they understand. We work with nonprofit partners and a global community of language professionals to build local language translation capacity, and raise awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information a year.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
- Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
- Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it is the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
- Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
- Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
- Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
- Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
TWB may re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration at its discretion.
How to apply
Contract length: Initially 6 months, with the possibility of extension
Location: Cox’s Bazar
Deadline for applications: 27 September 2021
To apply, please click here