Role & Responsibilities
Oversee and manage the daily operations of the Juba based logistics team, with the support of the Country Logistics Manager. The Deputy Logistics Manager is responsible for all aspects of operational logistics in Juba. This primarily involves oversight of the Procurement, Transport and Warehouse teams through their respective Managers, and providing support as needed.
Medair South Sudan is a multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and NFI & Emergency Shelter distributions across fixed and emergency response locations throughout South Sudan. The goal is to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable communities in South Sudan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan with regular travel to field sites. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Work in close cooperation with the Procurement, Warehousing and Transport teams, ensuring good management and support of their respective team Managers.
- Ensure a comprehensive understanding of the entire supply chain in order to understand issues, and seek to maximise efficiency.
- Provide technical oversight and ensure proper procurement practices and procedures are followed for all Juba based procurement. This is to be done in coordination with the Supply Chain Manager, with the goal to ensure transparent, accountable, efficient and cost-effective procurements for program activities.
- Support the Juba warehouse team in their activities by ensuring that Medair warehousing practices and procedures are followed, in coordination with the Warehouse Manager. The outcome to improve the efficiency of the warehouse to respond to requests.
- Work in close cooperation with the Transport team to ensure smooth operations. Including the arranging of charters and trucks for the transport of project supplies, the booking of staff on domestic flights, the management of the fleet, and the management of the drivers. All of this to be done through coordination with the Transport Manager.
- Provide cover for the Supply Chain, Warehouse and Transport Managers when they are on leave, with support from the Logistics Manager. Ensure that recommendations raised from previous audits are implemented in operational logistical functions within the teams.
- Represent Medair in a positive and professional manner contributing to the continuation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of Medair’s mandate, ethics and values.
- Proactively engage with suppliers, partners, local authorities, other NGOs, clusters and any other stakeholders as needed, and in the Logistics Managers absence, in order to plan, organize, and schedule distribution of goods and material as well as to ensure good coordination and adequate information sharing, address common concerns/problems and seek solutions.
- Manage staff with integrity and foresight, and in accordance with HR procedures and policies to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, performance review, producing development plans, determination of training needs, establishing and monitoring work plans, etc.
- Ensure that all Juba logistics staff are adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching. Coordinate logistics training for national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity, and ensure sustainability of programs.
- Ensure Medair Intranet and other operating procedures and all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed. In conjunction with relevant managers and support from Logistics Manager; review, develop and implement (as applicable) logistics systems to improve transparency.
- Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
- Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on logistics systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or a related field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum 2 years relevant logistics and management experience in emergency and/or development context.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in the logistics sector.
- Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the compliance/regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with programme teams and be able to represent Medair with UN organisations, other international NGO’s and local authorities world-wide. Technical understanding of mechanical equipment.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Capacity to work under pressure & tight deadlines. Diplomatic, especially for working with authorities & suppliers.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.