Based in London /UK, flexible /hybrid working available
Number of positions available: One
Background to Tetra Tech
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting and engineering services worldwide. It supports government and commercial clients with innovative solutions focused on international development, climate mitigation and adaptation, environmental sustainability, biodiversity, conservation, land reform, infrastructure, urban development, transport, water, and resource management. With 20,000 associates worldwide in over 120 countries, Tetra Tech’s capabilities span the entire project cycle.
Tetra Tech International Development Europe is Tetra Tech’s European business unit focused on International Development. We are based in London with offices in Kenya, Nigeria, Croatia, Turkey, Poland, and the Netherlands. We deliver international development programmes focused on economic growth, governance and justice/security, and infrastructure, for clients such as the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, the United Nations, the European Union, the European Investment Bank and other donors and funding agencies. We also have a strong in-house Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Practice consisting of 35 evaluators, statisticians, economists, social scientists, and research managers.
How we work and our values
We are committed to maintaining business practices that honour and protect the dignity and integrity of everyone with whom the company conducts business, employs, and serves. As a leading international development organisation, we fully support continued progress and improvement within the development community to make development initiatives more effective. We are also committed to addressing various cross-cutting issues relevant to international development to ensure that all people can access and enjoy the benefits of our activities.
- We value our people: we support the development of our people, ensuring that the environments in which they work are fair, safe, and flexible.
- We deliver quality results: we go the extra mile to deliver value for our clients, impact for beneficiaries and a fair financial return for the company to grow sustainably.
- We collaborate effectively: we work authentically with our clients, beneficiaries and partners and strive to always communicate clearly and openly.
- We encourage creativity and innovation: we encourage entrepreneurial thinking and provide the freedom, support and investment for new ideas and initiatives.
- We operate with integrity: We will do the right thing, be honest and keep to our commitments.
Our Evaluation and Research Practice in Tetra Tech
Our Evaluation and Research (E&R) Practice has a substantial track record of generating robust and reliable evidence and insights that our clients are able to use effectively for a wide range of learning, performance improvement and accountability purposes. We are a leading provider of high-quality monitoring, evaluation, research and learning services and specialist advice to the FCDO, EU institutions, foundations, international organisations, and other donors.
We collaborate with our in-house evaluation and research experts in other Tetra Tech operating units across the world, in particular:
- Management Systems International (MSI) – Based in Washington DC in the US, MSI is a leading supplier of monitoring and evaluation services to USAID, the World Bank, the US Department of State and other US government departments in over 50 countries including in Asia, Europe and Eurasia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Middle East, North Africa, South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Tetra Tech’s Research, Monitoring, and Evaluation (RME) teams in Australia and New Zealand – Tetra Tech’s RME experts design, manage, and deliver complex, large-scale evaluation and research projects for a wide range of clients, particularly DFAT, covering South Asia, South-East Asia, and the Asia Pacific.
Through a combination of our own large E&R Practice and working closely with our in-house evaluation and research experts and subject matter experts globally in other Tetra Tech operating units across the world, we cover a wide range of international development sectors in our E&R Practice including: education and adolescent girls, gender and empowerment, conflict, security and justice, humanitarian and emergency support, land reform and deforestation, infrastructure, urban development, transport, energy, climate change, biodiversity, conservation, livelihoods, employment, job creation, and market systems development.
Multiple sectors & regions
We work in a range of developed and developing countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Europe, including many conflict-affected states.
Our E&R Practice includes a dedicated EU team is one of the principal providers of evaluation and research services for the European Commission with offices in Brussels, London, Amsterdam, and Warsaw. After 35 years of working with nearly all Directorates-General, we have a deep understanding of the EU policy environment. Through an extensive range of EU frameworks, our work covers: communication, fisheries policy, transport and mobility, customs and taxation, development cooperation and foreign policy, health, research, education and culture, and employment.
We work with project stakeholders to understand what type of evidence is required, by whom, when and for what use, so that our M&E solutions collect the right data, at the right time, for the right purpose to produce evidence that is reliable, meaningful, and useful.
Our services cover the whole programme and policy lifecycle, ranging from strategy, programme design and implementation to learning and evaluation, with particular expertise and experience in monitoring and evaluating large multifaceted, multicounty, and portfolio programmes.
Our E&R Practice consists of a large in-house team of 35 experts including economists, VfM experts, statisticians, quantitative analysts, qualitative researchers, evaluation, research managers and digital solutions experts.
Our in-house digital solutions team enables us to develop and use innovative technology, dashboards, and infographics to meet our clients’ needs and make data accessible and functional. Our purpose-built mobile data collection platform, COSMOS, supports real-time data collection, analysis and decision making. COSMOS was designed and built by our own in-house Tetra Tech digital experts, giving us full control over the use and further development of this tool.
E&R Principal (P1) Position
We are looking for an experienced Principal (i.e., Principal Consultant) to join Tetra Tech’s growing Evaluation and Research (E&R) Practice based in London. You will be joining a dynamic and multidisciplinary team of MEL experts who are passionate about learning and accountability. We are looking for someone with more than 10 years of experience in applying evaluation and research methodologies on a wide range of monitoring, evaluation, and research assignments, preferably on projects with a focus on climate change, biodiversity, humanitarian and stabilisation programming and policy.
The overall purpose of this position is to:
- Direct and lead our project teams to deliver high quality monitoring, evaluation, research and learning activities that fully respond to our clients’ needs and requirements.
- Direct and lead bids and bid teams to help us win monitoring, evaluation, and research work across a wide range of sectors and contexts, especially in target areas focusing on girls’ education, climate change, biodiversity, humanitarian and stabilisation programming and policy.
- Support the continuous development and progression of our team, practice, and business as a whole as a line manager and senior technical expert.
- Lead and contribute to the development of our growth and development strategies for the E&R Practice, UK business and wider Tetra Tech globally.
Key Competencies – Principal (P1)
*Delivering client value:**
- Trusted client advisor – Act as a trusted advisor to our clients by leading the development and implementation of robust and useful technical solutions that meet their learning and accountability needs; and being ready to adapt these when situations and their needs change.
- Project leadership – Ability to lead, drive and influence diverse teams to deliver high quality work that fully responds to our clients’ requirements.
- Strong client relationship management skills are an essential competency to ensure that the way that we work fully meets client expectations and that deliverables are submitted on time, within budget and to the required quality.
- Strong stakeholder engagement, relationship management and communication skills to ensure that project partners and individual contractors /external consultants are effectively managed to deliver high quality inputs and outputs that meet the client’s expectations.
*Building the business:**
- Demonstrated experience and ability in directing and leading competitive bids and bid teams to develop approaches and methodologies across monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning.
- Ability to lead the development of strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, suppliers, and consultants as part of the bid process including leading and managing complex negotiations.
- Strategic networking and partnerships – Take initiative and lead the development and maintenance of strategic partnerships and relationships with partners, clients, and external consultants.
- Strategy development – As a senior manager contribute to the development of the annual growth and development strategy and Annual Operating Plan (AOP) for the E&R Practice, the UK business as a whole and global growth /collaboration initiatives across Tetra Tech more widely.
*Focussing on commercial results:**
- Commercial acumen – Ensure that projects that you direct and lead are delivered to plan, to the required quality and within the approved budget – including:
- Accountability for regular project financial reporting in liaison with the Project Manager.
- Ensuring financial targets are met throughout the Financial Year and intervening if this is not the case.
- Taking a proactive approach (in collaboration with other managers) to ensure that staff utilisation on bids and projects is as efficient as possible whilst maintaining a reasonable work-life balance.
*Driving performance through our people:**
- Line management responsibility for specific direct reports including annual setting of KPIs, conducting mid-year and end-of-year performance appraisals and regular supervision to ensure timely and effective feedback that helps them develop and progress on their career development pathways. This includes supporting learning and development through internal and external training opportunities.
- Contribute to developing the technical skills and expertise of the E&R Practice through mentoring, coaching, and regularly sharing knowledge and experiences.
- Taking a lead role (as required) in recruiting appropriate staff needed to grow the practice /business.
- Communicating effectively within the team even when under pressure.
*You’ll be expected to:**
- Be an ambassador for Tetra Tech in the market; promote our interests and reputation.
- Protect our confidential information and intellectual property.
- Promote and ensure full compliance (including by team members /staff) with all statutory and company HSSE policies, standards, procedures, systems, and codes of conduct.
- Play an active role in your safety and the safety of others around you.
- To travel regionally and globally when required for business development and project purposes.
*You’ll have these skills and experience:**
- Strong methodological knowledge and expertise in rigorously (and appropriately) applying robust monitoring, evaluation, research and learning approaches across a range of international development programmes, sectors, and contexts is essential.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (i.e., clear, confident, articulate) are an essential requirement including proven experience in report writing and presentation skills.
- Strong commitment to delivering high quality analytical products.
- A working knowledge of a range of software applications and strong computer skills including Microsoft Windows Word, Excel, Office, Outlook, Project, and PowerPoint.
- Strong team player, able to work under limited supervision, take initiative and manage people effectively.
- Demonstrates high levels of initiative, problem solving and organisational agility i.e., ability to ‘think on your feet’.
- Able to plan for and meet reporting deadlines and being accountable for outcomes.
- Strong organisational skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, juggle competing demands, prioritise work and delegate effectively.
- Commitment to continuing professional development required.
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognised tertiary institution in a relevant subject (e.g., social science, evaluation) is required.
- Relevant postgraduate qualification is an advantage.
Tetra Tech prides itself on a workplace culture that advances equality, diversity and inclusion and we ensure the workplace is free from discrimination, harassment, bullying, racism and hate speech of any form. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply for this role.
No CVs will be accepted from recruitment agencies.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK to apply for this position.
Application deadline: Monday 20 September 2021
For further enquiries, please contact us at TTIDE.People@tetratech.com and quote the job reference number.
Tetra Tech International Development has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors around the world, including the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth& Development Office (FCDO), and the European Union (EU). Our people are focused on improving lives by working side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth, and good governance.
Tetra Tech International Development is part of Tetra Tech, a global family of experts providing international development services in over 13 key practice areas in over 100 countries around the world. Tetra Tech serves the major aid markets in the UK and Europe, as well as the U.S. Agency for International Development, the U.S. Department of State, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and multilateral development banks.
Tetra Tech International Development has robust policies and guidelines which exemplify our commitment to safeguarding and technical excellence in gender equality. Our team of dedicated GEDSI advisers work closely with our staff and partners to ensure a context-specific and consistent approach is applied to all of our programmes to improve the livelihoods of the world’s most marginalised groups.
How to apply
Please send your CV and short cover letter in one document clearly outlining your relevant experience and suitability for the role: Jobs | International Development – Tetra Tech Europe (pageuppeople.com)