This is a full-time position based in Seattle, WA, but will require a one-year long-term assignment in Amman, Jordan through WHO
In partnership with the Afghanistan Team Lead and Deputy Director, Polio (Endemics), the Senior Program Officer (SPO) will work closely with agencies in the humanitarian sector to identify and lead Foundation support to activities that accelerate polio eradication in Afghanistan. As part of this responsibility, this role will manage relationships with grantees, contractors, and key partners, both within the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) and across the broader group of partners supporting humanitarian assistance in Afghanistan and neighboring countries.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Own a portfolio of grants and contracts designed to embed core polio vaccination and polio surveillance activities in the humanitarian response to populations displaced by conflict and emergencies within Afghanistan and Afghan refugees in neighboring countries.
- Support foundation efforts to identify and address immunity gaps that sustain circulation of polioviruses in sub-populations (e.g., IDPs, refugees, migrant groups, and nomadic populations) displaced by conflict and emergencies within Afghanistan, and the Afghanistan-Pakistan border.
- Identify partners working in humanitarian response in Afghanistan and across the region, and shape opportunities to support their efforts in polio eradication as part of humanitarian response in Afghanistan.
- Represent the foundation in regional platforms and working groups coordinating the humanitarian response in Afghanistan and neighboring countries.
- Coordinate the foundation’s input to GPEI’s humanitarian response planning and execution by the polio programs in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Solicit and review letters of inquiry & grant proposals; provide clear, concise & insightful written analyses & recommendations for funding, including drafting & editing proposal summaries & progress reports for existing grants for review by Foundation leadership.
- This role manages consultants and contractors across different geographies, tracks deliverables and communicates performance expectations, gives and seeks feedback, measures progress, and recognizes achievement.
Core Knowledge & Skills We are seeking a collaborative, innovative team member with an excellent record of achievement delivering health and/or development services in challenging environments. We are looking for individuals with:
- Significant experience in managing and directing humanitarian and public health activities in a developing country context.
- Experience in strategic planning and strategy implementation, particularly as it relates to humanitarian assistance and/or working with refugee and displaced populations.
- A track record of innovation and creativity in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Proven ability to lead and influence others. Demonstrated ability to work with efficiency, diplomacy, and flexibility particularly as part of a team with diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and experience advocating and communicating with a broad and diverse audience.
- Experience in a role requiring collaboration in a complex organization and working with external partners.
- Strong record of engagement with major donors, GPEI partners (e.g. CDC, UNICEF, WHO, Rotary) and country level familiarity with funding and planning processes, goal setting, implementation, and evaluation of activities.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 40%
Education and Experience
- 10+ years of experience in humanitarian affairs including working with refugee populations and/or field experience in conflict zones.
- Experience related to public health and/or immunization preferred but not required.
- Advanced degree in public health or international development preferred.
Reports to: Senior Program Officer (Afghanistan Team Lead)
How to apply
To apply, please click HERE.