JRS Europe Regional Finance & Administration Coordinator
Date of publication: 29 July 2021
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) Europe is an international Catholic organisation. Its mission is to accompany, to serve and to advocate for refugees and forcibly displaced people. The JRS Europe team in Brussels shares this mission by engaging in policy and advocacy work, project management, fundraising, communications and coordination. The finance work focuses on projects in favour of forcibly displaced people who might be in immigration detention or are at risk of becoming destitute, that work towards the social inclusion and integration of refugees in society, the European policies of border management and asylum, and Awareness raising with young people to better understand the situation of refugees. The JRS Europe Regional Office has working relations with funding agencies, including the EU agencies, as well with private donors.
The JRS Europe Regional Office coordinates activities of 22 JRS country offices and country-based projects. The Brussels-based regional team includes six permanent staff members and volunteers.
The JRS Europe Regional Finance & Administration Coordinator assists the Regional Director and the Regional Office team in proposing and implementing regional financial strategies. The Finance & Administrative Coordinator will have specific responsibilities regarding JRS Europe’s common project finances monitoring, closure and auditing of projects.
S/he comes with sound analytical skills and a creative mindset and is in tune with JRS mission and way of working. The Coordinator is able to engage with fellow team members in the Regional Office, as well as JRS national offices’ teams in working towards a common vision. S/he comes with good networking skills and is available to travel to JRS national offices to assist them.
The Finance & Administration Coordinator reports to the Regional Director and will be responsible for the following tasks:
ACCOUNTING AND FINANCES:
• Responsible for the financial and analytical accounting systems of the Regional Office, including administration of finances, accounts management, payments, bank.
• Consolidate and produce quarterly internal budget versus actual reports with explanations on the core and program budget, and quarterly management accounts for the Regional Director.
• Responsible for the preparation of budgets, and the annual closing of accounts, including a full assurance audit by a certified public auditor.
• Accounting and monitoring of JRS Europe common projects in close cooperation with JRS country offices and other partners involved.
• Review interim and final financial reports of JRS country offices within common projects, including verifying the required supporting documents according to donor requirements.
• Issue timely financial reports in close cooperation with JRS Program Coordination and Fundraising staff, to funding agencies according to agreements and contracts.
• Evaluate the implementation of JRS regional office financial policies and procedures (including procurements) and recommend improvements.
• Assist JRS country offices to ensure that finance and accountant officers are properly recruited and receive adequate training. This will require frequent communication with country offices.
ADMINISTRATION AND HUMAN RESOURCES:
• Responsible for all administrative procedures required by Belgium law, including the General Assembly and meetings of the Board of Directors, the official publications in the Moniteur Belge and BNB.
• Responsible for Human Resources in collaboration with the JRS social secretariat, including payroll and contracts for staff, holidays, insurances, volunteers and interns.
• Filing of documents and electronic data and ensuring safe storage in compliance with GDPR.
• Purchase equipment and regular office supplies.
• Maintain contact with the building owner.
• Budgeting and administrative support for meetings and missions.
• Responding to general inquiries by phone or mail, as part of the office team.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The post-holder will have the following essential experiences, skills, knowledge and abilities:
• Permission to work in Belgium.
• University studies in accounting, finance, business administration or equivalent.
• Proven experience and substantive understanding of NGO budgeting, accounting and reporting.
• Proficiency and competences in handling finance and communications software.
• Proven experience managing private and public grants, with a special focus on EU funded grants.
• Knowledge of and ability to work with donor management systems and in compliance with data protection legislation.
• Ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
• A positive, constructive attitude to meeting challenges, solving problems and identifying opportunities.
• Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously in a busy office environment and to meet deadlines.
• Availability to travel to country offices in Europe.
CORE VALUES AND ETHICS
• Enthusiasm for the mission of JRS and willingness to advocate based on the JRS mission and vision.
• High integrity and honesty.
• Field experience in working with refugees, migrants or vulnerable social groups is highly valued.
• Previous professional experience with a faith-based organization is an asset.
• Ability to speak and write fluently and compellingly in English and French.
• Working knowledge of additional European languages.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
• This is a full-time position (38 hours per week) or two part time positions, in case candidates would be specializing on Accounting or Finances/Administration.
• We offer a 12-months contract, to be possibly transformed into a contract of undetermined duration.
• The desired starting date is immediately.
• The salary offered for this position is between € 2 800 and € 3 200 gross full time per month, according to experience and skills. All conditions and additional benefits are according to Belgian legislation.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates should send CV and cover letter written in English by e-mail to: Europe.firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Finance Coordinator Job Opening including your first and last name. There is no deadline for the receipt of applications, candidate´s applications will be examined on a rolling basis, so as to start immediately or at earliest convenience.
JRS Europe is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant because of race, colour, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.