Jewish Family Service is a 129-year-old non-profit organization providing social services to individuals and families in the Jewish and greater communities of the Puget Sound region. We help people achieve well-being, health and stability.
Jewish Family Service is currently seeking an Immigration Attorney to join our Refugee and Immigrant Services team. This full-time (37.5 hours/week) position will provide direct representation for children and adults in immigration cases while helping to build a network of support for the broader immigration needs of asylum seekers in the Seattle/Tacoma Metro Area. The attorney will focus on providing direct legal representation in defensive asylum cases, applications for withholding of removal, and Convention Against Torture protection. The Attorney may also represent adults and children affirmatively seeking asylum; children seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status; and crime victims seeking VAWA classification or U visas, among other immigration benefits.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide trauma-informed direct representation to clients before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, other federal agencies, and federal courts.
- Conduct case analysis to determine eligibility for immigration relief and provide direct legal services and consultations.
- Direct and support JFS Immigration Services Team, including any DOJ accredited representatives and other staff as assigned, through regular engagement, case assistance, and training.
- Provide legal orientation, counseling, and education regarding a range of immigration issues and other legal problems faced by members of the low-income immigrant communities through legal clinics and individual consultations.
- Maintain an up to date, working knowledge of significant policies, laws and trends in immigration law, particularly as it impacts asylum-seekers.
- Actively participate in state and local taskforces and initiatives and relevant trainings pertaining to legal services for populations of humanitarian concern.
- Ensure accurate, timely and detailed compliance with data entry, client records and program reporting.
- Juris Doctorate degree with membership in good standing in the bar of any state.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with immigration law, including removal defense work before the immigration court and experience working with detained immigrants.
- Demonstrated experience in providing trauma-informed, client-centered services.
- Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work under pressure.
- Dedication to serving immigrant communities with a sincere commitment to working on behalf of low-income immigrants.
- Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred.
- Fully vaccinated individuals required due to client facing nature of the work; accommodations provided as appropriate.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
· The starting pay for this position is $68,658 to $76,287 a year.
· Jewish Family Service offers a generous benefits package which includes: a relocation stipend, medical, dental, vision, FSA, Life and LTD insurance, 401k with employer contribution, EAP, and ample paid time off.
How to apply
Please visit this posting on our careers page: https://www.jfsseattle.org/careers/#immigration-attorney