- International IDEA and the European Union (EU) have entered into an Agreement to implement the INTER PARES | Parliaments in Partnership, EU Global Project to Strengthen the Capacity of Parliaments. The Global Project aims to strengthen representative and inclusive democracy through support for the effective functioning of parliaments in partner countries, by enhancing their legislative, oversight, representative, budgetary and administrative functions. The Global Project focuses both on elected Members of Parliament (MPs), particularly in their capacity as members of parliamentary committees and on the staff of parliaments' secretariats.
- The Regional Europe Programme (REP) has a strategic objective to support democracy in Europe, with an emphasis on Eastern Europe e.g. Ukraine, Moldova, and Georgia. The focus of this first component is described in detail in both the 2016 WEP Programme Strategy Document, and the International IDEA Institutional Strategy 2018-2022. The other component of the REP is to function as the main liaison of International IDEA to the EU Institutions in Brussels.
The Senior Finance and Administrative Officer is responsible for providing sound financial and administrative management to the INTER PARES Project and the Regional Europe Programme in their respective portfolio of projects. Approximately 70% of the Senior Finance and Administrative Officer’s overall time will be allocated to the INTER PARES project, whereas 30% is allocated to REP.
The post holder will advise and support internal and external stakeholders and act as a focal point for project managers for grants, budgets, contracts and operational administrative support in project/programme delivery. The Senior Finance and Administrative Officer will also monitor the project/programme’s progress, overseeing the coordination and reporting of funds and ensuring compliance with International IDEA and donor regulations. The incumbent will also be responsible for managing the effective implementation and compliance of administrative, human resources, procurement and facilities related aspects of the projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages all finance, administrative, human resources, procurement and facilities related aspects of the INTER PARES Project and the Regional Europe Programme;
- Provides expert guidance and support to internal and external stakeholders and partners in all matters related to grant, budget and contract management;
- Provides expert guidance and support to internal and external stakeholders and partners in the financial and administrative aspects of new project and activity development;
- Is responsible for the daily financial management of the INTER PARES project and the Regional Europe Programme, including review of budgets, forecasts and tracking of expenditures, as well as preparing the financial reports for donors as required;
- Prepares and supports the administration and management of contracts and agreements for service providers and/or partner organizations, and monitors/manages performance according to agreed deliverables;
- Prepares financial projections, statements and expenditure reports as required;
- Provides budget management support to the internal and external stakeholders and partners through monthly project budget reviews;
- Ensures that all transactions are properly recorded in the ERP system;
- Provides support and guidance to the project team on preparation and revision of project/activity budgets in conformity with the applicable policies and procedures;
- Prepares project expenditure reports and analysis and assists project managers in tracking financial progress of the project as required;
- Ensures project teams are aware of grant conditions and reporting requirements;
- Monitors cash flows and ensures adequate cash levels are maintained;
- Prepares monthly financial reports and monthly reconciliation of accounts as applicable;
- Manages grants including the monitoring of grant budgets against actual expenditure;
- Monitors adherence to donor financial and reporting requirements, within the framework of International IDEA and donor’s policies and procedures, and prepares financial reports for donors as required;
- Acts as a focal point of administration, finance, procurement and human resources services, and works in close collaboration with International IDEA´s Headquarters and the relevant Programme Directors and Heads of Teams;
- Maintains filing and archiving systems of administrative and financial documents and records;
- Trains new project staff on all applicable financial, administrative and procurement policies and procedures.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle; Leads meetings and discussions in his/her field of expertise;
- Is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Programme, INTER PARES
- Excellent knowledge of project design, grant administration and management, including budgeting, costing of proposals, monitoring implementation, reporting and audit management;
- Solid knowledge of procurement and contracting concepts, tendering, contract design and administration issues, multi-party agreements. Ability to draft non-routine contractual instruments and use independent judgement and creativity in resolution of contract issues;
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in own discipline, combined with a good understanding of related disciplines in order to approach activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Collaborates with internal project managers and external donor finance functions to align financial and technical reporting to ensure the integrity of the projects;
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners and preparation of reports and project briefs;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- Coordination of consultants’ work with Head of Programme and programme staff is expected;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises permanently to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Translates financial concepts to, and effectively collaborates with colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles.
- Fluency in English is essential; Fluency in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) is desirable.
Education and Experience
- Post-graduate qualifications in financial management, business management or other related discipline;
- A minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible professional experience in project/programme management and design, administration, grant management, including experience in budgeting, costing, monitoring and implementation;
- Experience working with EU grants;
- Experience working with EU pillar-assessed organizations considered an advantage;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage.
Terms of Contract:
- International post
- Fixed-term appointment until 31 December 2022
- Salary: EUR 5 830 plus benefits.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 4 August 2021. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
How to apply
Please apply directly here: