The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and innovative Associate Scientist, with expertise in at least one of the following areas: potato breeding, potato crop management, product development with excellent practical, organizational and communication skills and a high level of commitment to conduct potato breeding and develop potato varieties to be commercialized in tropical environments for South East Asia and Pacific.
The position: This research position will be based in Hanoi, Vietnam and the scientist will be a member of CIP’s Genetics, Genomics & Crop Improvement Science Division and its Agile Potato for Asia Program. The major objective of the project supporting the position is to select and develop improved potato varieties for fresh and processing use, closely working with a leading potato breeding company, HZPC. The area of interest and target population of environments is South and Southeast Asia, but international travel is required.
What are we looking for?
· PhD in Plant Breeding or other Crop Sciences. Applicants with a M.Sc., or substantial professional experience, will be considered as well.
· At least 2-5 years’ experience in breeding potato (advantageous) or another clonal crop, and/or on product development, registration and commercialization of new crop varieties.
· Strong knowledge of experimental design, genetics and statistics, GxE analysis for breeding and variety selection
· General and practical knowledge in plant health management, agronomy and accounts management
· Understanding and experience with molecular genetic characterization, principles and practices of marker-assisted selection
· Demonstrated collaboration skills, proactive in inter-institutional and collegial relationships.
· Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, taking consistent action and focused on meeting project timelines.
· Knowledge of national agricultural research systems in Asia, Vietnam in particular.
· Experience working with private sector and end-users of breeding products desirable.
· Excellent spoken and written English.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
· CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP’s mission contributes to the SDGs: 1,2,3,5,8,13 and 15.**
· CIP is a member of the OneCGIAR, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.**
What are we offering?
· Exciting career opportunity in an international organization.
· Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
· Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
· Attractive retirement plan.
· Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
· Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply
How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references contact information. Screening of applications will begin on August 7th, 2021 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.