Duration: Starting ASAP until December 2022
The Governance team ensures that the Board has the proper advice and resources needed for discharging its responsibilities, and that the records of the Board's actions reflect that the Board has done so. The team informs the Board of governance best practices from the public-sector and corporate spheres and is a key relationship manager between the Board and the Secretariat. It is also responsible for advising the Board on its forward workplan and operations and does so responsively and collaboratively. In line with Gavi’s transparent practices, the minutes of the Board and its committees are available on Gavi’s website once approved. The Governance Team provides similar functions to Gavi’s affiliate organisations and to the COVAX Facility. In total, the Governance team manages as many as 60 or more meetings per year.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND DELIVERABLES
- Ensure, together with the governance team, the effective functioning of Gavi and/or COVAX Facility governing bodies including minute taking for the certain meetings of the governing bodies under the direct supervision of the Director, Governance;
- Excellent project management of meetings and activities of the governance structures.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Ensure day-to-day governance management of Gavi Board Committees and/or COVAX Facility governing bodies, including crafting their work plans, agendas, minute taking, etc. This may include taking direct responsibility for certain Board Committees;
- Responsible for day-to-day management of Gavi Board and/or COVAX Facility constituencies including development of policies, procedures, and communication;
- Track and evaluate progress on governance decisions and ensure appropriate follow-up actions in consultation with Director, Governance and Head, Governance;
- Provide support for updating and revisions of all constitutional documents, board manuals and guidance, website and other projects that will be assigned to the Senior Manager, Governance from time to time;
- Lead special projects and assignments as assigned by the Director, Governance or Head, Governance;
- Provide support to Gavi Senior Management:
- o Brief colleagues on relevant governance and policy issues;
- o Prepare speaking points and presentations;
- o Provide information on past governance decisions and actions.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
- Advanced University degree in business or social science, or law qualification.
- Minimum of 8 years of recent work experience in public-sector or corporate governance;
- Experience in international development is an asset;
- Public and global health experience would be useful;
- Demonstrated ability and reputation in public-sector or corporate governance and working with boards and committees.
- Demonstrated qualities in supervising staff, working with senior management;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in cross-cultural and political settings;
- Ability to understand and write about a wide range of technical issues to different audiences;
- Excellent eye for detail with ability to prioritise effectively and good follow-up capacity;
- Logical thought processes and able to communicate complex issues with clarity;
- Willing to speak up in influential and challenging environments;
- Demonstrated project management and problem solving skills, and capacity to work with uncertainty and ambiguity, and frequently changing priorities;
- Solutions-based approach to problem solving and the ability to be persuasive;
- Good knowledge of institutional or organization policies, systems and procedures;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Financial literacy would be an advantage;
- Willing to travel sometimes at short notice and comfortable with working under pressure and with tight deadlines.
- Written and spoken fluency in English;
- A second language is an asset, preferably French or Spanish.
- Extensive contact with staff at all levels;
- Gavi Alliance board and committee members and their support staff;
- COVAX Facility governing body members and their support staff;
- Gavi Alliance partner staff, including:
- o Developing country health ministry; Donor government foreign ministries; Civil society; WHO; World Bank; Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; UNICEF.
This post may require travel, sometimes at short notice.
How to apply
If you wish to apply, please provide a cover letter and resume through our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on “Senior Manager, Governance – COVAX (Temporary)”. Deadline for applications is 05 August 2021.
We are committed to fostering a just, equitable and diverse culture free from racism and discrimination in which all staff, partners and stakeholders feel empowered, safe and heard.
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.