Desired start date: 10/09/21
Duration of the mission: 12 months
About the mission...
SI Syria mission is operating in 2 areas North East (NES) and North West (NWS) Syria. In both areas SI is dedicated to work on challenging areas to provide lifesaving activities to the population affected by the conflict.
In both areas, main current activities are related to emergency WaSH (water trucking, Latrines constructions, distribution of WASH NFIs, waste management and hygiene promotion), Water infrastructure rehabilitation (under the management of a dedicated Rehabilitation Coordinator, Shelter, distribution of essential NFI and cash).
In NES the WASH activities are mainly funded through a major consortium with 4 partners led by SI. The consortium will support equitable and safe access to essential basic services including WASH, Shelter, Health and soon Early Recovery and Market Systems for the most vulnerable populations affected by conflict and displacement in Northeast Syria.
In NWS, the WASH activities are funded by several grants that complement each other’s.
Mission: size, bases, budget, number of expatriates and national staffs: There are 3 implementing bases in Syria (1 in NWS, 2 in NES) with the coordination in Amman (and a sub office in Erbil). The total financial volume of the mission is planned around 30 million EUR for 2021. The mission reaches a number of 43 expatriates and around 250 national employees.
about the job
- The WASH coordinator contributes to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of
- He/she specifically guarantees the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations.
- He/she coordinates the project cycle and more particularly the operational monitoring of WASH programs implemented in the intervention country.
- He/she contributes to the process of capitalization and the improvement of Solidarités International methods and techniques in the field of
The main challenges:
- The role requires high level of autonomy and multitasking, management capacities and strong appetite for knowledge transfer
- Leads the WASH sector strategy definition in a complex environment with multiple type of actors – Regular contact/support required to NGO partners, donors, UN agencies, stabilization actors and local authorities
- Even if not directly in the management of the partnership, the WaSH coordinator is the Backup of the WaSH specialist (LEARN Consortium). In this regard the WaSH Coordinator could be requested ad-hoc support to other partner if need be.
Responsibilities and main activities:
- The WaSH Coordinator is responsible of the development of the WaSH strategy and is the warrant of the technical relevance and quality of the projects.
- The position is based in Amman with frequent field trip to the bases/offices where SI is located. The WCo would need to plan frequent Travels in KRI and to NES depending to security situation. WCo could be able to go to NWS operation but the authorizations are more difficult to obtain.
- The position-holder will be SI staff and will report directly to SI DCD program. will have the functional management responsibilities of 2 WASH PM in NES and 2 PMs in NWS.
Specific skills and experience:
- Be technically competent in the WASH sector with minimum 3 years of experience of WaSH advisor/ coordinator role;
- Demonstrated experience in WaSH Sector, especially in WASH in emergency;
- Able to develop SI WaSH strategy and to translate complex strategies in operational implementation;
- Demonstrated experience in integrated programming with other sectors (Water Public Infrastructures rehabilitation, Shelter and Livelihood, Nutrition);
- Demonstrated experience in protection mainstreaming within WASH interventions;
- Understand the links between emergency response, recovery, and the transition to development/stabilization;
- Able set and support the PMS in the definition of the technical standards, planning and follow up on project implementation - the WASH coordinator is a head of department (not an advisor) for the WASH sector and therefore will be entirely responsible for all the activities implemented under his/her sector;
- Strong level of autonomy
- Be able to work with diverse stakeholders, to lead coordination forums and to develop consensus;
- Know how to present ideas effectively and clearly while listening and acknowledging others’ perspectives and views;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the international humanitarian response and coordination mechanisms, and humanitarian reform;
- Have a strong command of humanitarian principles and how to apply these;
- Handling insecure environments
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal is mandatory;
- French is an asset
si will offer you
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 2640 euros gross per month (2400 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 785 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by Solidarités).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked > i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract**.**
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Living conditions in Amman are very good and staffs have access to a wide range of restaurants, cafes and bars. Most of occidental products (food, clothing…) are easily accessible in Amman. The country also proposes several destinations for weekends.
The position will be based in Amman and is entitled to family pack. The situation is ideal for family duty station. Large expatriate community and international schools and organisation make it a large regional hub.
During field trips, the future Wash Co will be accommodated in SI guesthouses in Erbil, Amuda and Raqqa, and will be hosted in Hotel in Turkey (Killis and Gaziantep) while visiting NWS Syria Operation.
The per diem rate for Amman 785 USD a month.
In Amman, security risks are extremely low and restrictions are very limited.
In Erbil (Iraq) which is the hub/entry door to access to NES, security levels are good, restrictions are mainly related to obtaining visas for international staff, which can take some weeks.
Security inside NES is volatile and justifies specific arrangements for accommodation and movement in the areas of intervention. Adherence to strict security procedures is necessary.
Security in NWS is also challenging with very few accesses to the ground. Adherence to strict security procedures is necessary.
Please note that SI strongly recommends its staff to get the vaccination against COVID 19, using WHO-approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure, in order to reduce the future logistical constraints once on the field (administration of the 2nd dose within a certain time frame).
How to apply
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?id=PULFK026203F3VBQB6G8N8NX4&nPostingTargetID=64105. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/