Plan International works in 70 countries across Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas promoting child rights and lifting millions of children out of poverty. Plan’s Global Strategic Goals (2017-2022) is to advance Children’s Rights and Equality for Girls ad our Ambition is, “together, we take action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive”. Our aim is to reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalized through high quality programs that deliver long lasting benefits to children and their communities by working in partnership with others and operating effectively. Plan International is a global federation and it has been working in Jordan since 2016, collaborating with national and international partners to support the recovery and resilience of the Syrian refugees and Jordanian host population by providing Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD), integrated projects including; education, child protection, GBV, SRHR, Youth Economic Empowerment, and women’s empowerment services in both host communities and refugee camps.
Plan International in Jordan is seeking to recruit a MERL (Monitoring, Evaluation research and Learning) Officer responding to both development and humanitarian programmes, and in particular to the needs of the most at-risk population – children and youth (especially girls and boys). The MERL Officer will be based in the Main Office in Amman with travel to project’s locations as needed.
Dimensions of the Role
The MERL officer will contribute to the design, implementation, and ongoing revision of the MERL system that meets the needs of the programme for learning, analysis, and reporting. Also, to support on activity-level and program-level monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning to ensure quality and consistency across the programme.
Monitoring, Implementation and Reporting:
· To support in the development of M&E Framework and monitoring & evaluation plan for programme activities and indicators and ensure adherence to the plans and systems
· To support the analysis and reporting on programme and project progress and trends in terms of achieving results, using existing monitoring and evaluation tools and introducing new mechanisms and systems; identify constraints and resource deficiencies, and recommend corrective actions.
· Moniotor and faciliatate regular upadate of database for regular reporting and data utilization
· Facilitate timely and regular programme monitoring in collaboration with project M&E team
· Coordinate/support documentations of trainings, review meetings, preparation of case studies.
· Coordinate, prepare, and consolidate all reporting (monthly, quarterly/biannual and annual) activities of the programme in collaboration with M&E Coordinator, advisors and others as needed.
· To lead the development and implementation of regular, participatory assessments/feedback and complaint surveys and mechanism with and for affected communities in accordance to Plan international regulations, Child Protection in Emergency Minimum Standards, Core Humanitarian Standards as well ensuring the alignment with already established systems and policies available;
· With the support of the CP team, develop and maintain the accountability mechanism within Plan field location and in coordination with partners.
Programme Design, Development and Implementation:
· With the support of the project technical leads, to support in leading rapid and detailed mappings and assessments.
· Ensure that the quality of project supported M&E trainings, review meetings and supportive supervisions are maintained;
· Provide monitoring and evaluation training to relevant project staff and government staff engaged in data management and utilization.
· Provides technical support to field teams in project activity monitoring, data organization and utilization and report writing.
· To attend regular calls, meetings, etc. as required by Plan International;
· In coordination with the Country Office Program manager and the Country/ Regional Programme Coordinator, the MERL Officer ensures that issues of gender equality, inclusion, child protection and safeguarding, accountability, risk and vulnerability are addressed and monitored throughout all programs.
Human Resources – Staff supervision and Development
· To maintain open and professional relations with all the team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions and different task assigned to them;
· To coordinate and/or implement training and briefing of Plan International partners, and other key stakeholders on MERL.
· Ensure timely completion and submission of regular program and staff reporting and annual performance reviews, as appropriate;
Child protection, gender equality and inclusion
· Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
· Bachelor degree or equivalent in education, Social Sciences or another related field;
· 2 years of progressively responsible experience in working with M&E systems In an NGO/INGO, preferable social work in humanitarian, post-conflict recovery and/or development settings;
· Previous experience working within a team in a cross-cultural setting;
· Good understanding of gender and ability to engage on gender equality issues;
· Good Experience in utilizing international tools such as: The INEE Minimum Standards Reference Tool accompanies and the INEE Minimum Standards Handbook.
· Knowledge and understanding of best practices in M&E including global practices.
· Experience of conducting assessments in emergency contexts.
· Experience of training on relevant technical areas with a variety of audiences.
· Excellent understanding of MERL tools
· Experience working with partners to implement programming desired
· Strong knowledge in planning, monitoring, evaluating programs and ongoing developments in evaluation tools and processes for protection projects;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, with excellent command of spoken and written English and Arabic:
· Excellent interpersonal qualities and the ability to work with people from a range of backgrounds, promote teamwork, flexible and able to handle pressure and conflict well in a calm and constructive manner;
· Excellent negotiation, representation, and facilitation skills and the ability to work comfortably in a very sensitive environment;
· Strong organizational and work prioritization skills and attention to detail;
· Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work cooperatively.
· Proven facilitation skills and demonstrated experience in leading joint group efforts;
· A passion for mission driven work and personal values aligned with those of Plan International’s purpose and values;
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
· Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
· Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
· Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
· Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
· Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
· Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
· Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
· Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
· Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
· Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
· Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
· Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
· Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
· We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
· We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
· We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. **
The post-holder shall be based at Plan International Jordan offices in Amman with regular travel to different Plan sites and Partners in Jordan.
Level of contact with children
Medium contact – the job responsibilities required from this position will include medium level contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Type of Role: Fixed Term Job - with possibility of extension subject to performance and budget availability
Contract Duration: 6 months
Reports to: MERL Coordinator
Location: Plan Offices (Amman, Jordan)
Closing Date: 31 July 2021
How to apply
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Plan International operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all areas of the international community.**
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.**
Please note that only applications and CVs written in English will be accepted.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Child Safeguarding Policy.