Based in Kisumu, Kenya
Reports to: Manager of Business Development Services
*Contingent upon funding
Who we are
With over 50 years of experience working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare by putting the consumer at the center and bringing care to the front door wherever possible. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets, and shift policy and funding to better support consumer-empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI'ers" around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience—all with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI seeks an energetic Sales and Marketing Specialist to increase household access to market-based sanitation products and services by creating new markets or making existing markets work better in select geographies. S/he will support the activities for an anticipated 5-year USAID-funded project whose overall goal is to develop a financially sustainable, transformative, replicable, and locally owned sanitation marketplace in the target counties of Western Kenya. The objectives to achieve this goal are (1) increased access to and uptake of market-based improved sanitation and fecal sludge management (FSM) products and services; and (2) increased access to and uptake of market-based improved MHM products and services at the household level. PSI has been measurably improving the health of Kenyans since 1989. Its approach harnesses the vitality of the private sector to improve health outcomes for clients. It addresses the most serious health challenges affecting resource-poor and vulnerable communities in Kenya, including HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, non-communicable diseases, and the greatest threats to children under 5, including malaria, diarrhea, pneumonia, and malnutrition. Sound like you? Read on.
The Sales and Marketing Specialist will drive improvements in and expansion of local businesses
to include innovative sanitation products and services; institutionalize a sales and support supervision mechanism for local businesses within local entities; engage and work with partners and governmental and non-governmental stakeholders to strengthen the enabling environment for sanitation markets; maximize program integration and promote learning across the different technical teams, departments and consortium; train and standardize approaches in sales, marketing; have overall accountability for program targets and deliverables. S/he will lead the development of sustainable sales and marketing plans that layout the product offering, distribution channels, pricing and sales models, and P&L calculations. Oversee strategic partnerships, market assessments, and guidance on governance issues to facilitate new product entry. Provide regular, concise reporting on program activities, including document and sharing key learning on the potential to scale identified business models. S/he has a passion for partnership development, knowledge sharing, capacity building, and a positive and action-oriented attitude.
What are we looking for?
• Bachelor’s degree Management, Business Administration, Economics or Marketing or a related field with five (5) years of demonstrated experience in sales and marketing.
• Demonstrated experience in relevant areas such as general business management, private sector delivery of market-based sanitation services, sales, and marketing
• Experience in the design and implementation of successful sales and marketing programs and managing the support supervision structure of those programs
• Experience coaching and training large sales force and developing people
• Experience in developing and selling consumer sanitation products highly desirable;
• Creative thinker who understands consumer needs and can find unique ways to drive demand for existing/new products;
• Experience with data for decision making and using data to guide program and sales decisions
• Experience with partnership development and knowledge of business development services sector and actors
• Demonstrates managerial courage to resolve conflicts and has excellent diplomatic, open mindedness, oral/written skills and presentation abilities;
• Fluent in English (spoken and written);
• References will be required.
How to apply
• Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and current Curriculum Vitae by 21st September 2021 to email@example.com; Subject: Sales and Marketing Specialist
• Applications are currently accepted on a rolling basis.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.