Who we are
With over 50 years of experience working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare by putting the consumer at the center and bringing care to the front door wherever possible. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets, and shift policy and funding to better support consumer-empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 "PSI'ers" around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience—all with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI seeks an energetic Product Research & Development Specialist to guide and support sanitation product design activities to improve consumer desirability/acceptability and disrupt the current rural household toilet installation process. The specialist should have experience in commercial product design, manufacturing, and distribution. The specialist will support these activities for an anticipated 5-year USAID-funded project. The program's overall goal is a financially sustainable, transformative, replicable, and locally owned sanitation marketplace in the target counties of Western Kenya. The objectives to achieve this goal are (1) increased access to and uptake of market-based improved sanitation and fecal sludge management (FSM) products and services; and (2) increased access to and uptake of market-based improved MHM products and services at the household level. PSI has been measurably improving the health of Kenyans since 1989. Its approach harnesses the vitality of the private sector to improve health outcomes for clients. It addresses the most serious health challenges affecting resource-poor and vulnerable communities in Kenya, including HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, non-communicable diseases, and the greatest threats to children under 5, including malaria, diarrhea, pneumonia, and malnutrition. Sound like you? Read on.
**The Product R&D Specialist will drive design, manufacturing, and commercialization efforts and facilitate investments to bring transformative products and services to the sanitation and MHM markets. They will be responsible for supporting the research and development process for creating new prototypes; or redesigning existing products to improve overall transportability, simplify installation, and improve efficiency, desirability, and profitability for service providers. The Product R&D Specialist has deep experience developing and researching consumer products, especially durable products, preferably in the manufacturing and construction sector. In addition, the specialist has a passion for partnership development, knowledge sharing, capacity building, and a positive and action-oriented attitude.
What are we looking for?
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required;
• At least five years’ experience in research and development, preferably in the durable products manufacturing and construction sector;
• Three years of project management experience preferred;
• Goal focused with experience in the research, development, and testing of new products with consumers and businesses;
• Ability to work with partners, constituents, and teams to generate and create design concepts and ultimately into working prototypes and commercialized products;
• Business acumen
• Strong negotiation skills with a demonstrated track record of working with cross-functional teams;
• Experience in developing consumer sanitation products highly desirable;
• Creative thinker who understands consumer needs and can find unique ways to develop existing/new products;
• Demonstrates managerial courage to resolve conflicts and has excellent diplomatic, oral/written skills and presentation abilities;
• Fluent in English (spoken and written);
• References will be required.
How to apply
• Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and current Curriculum Vitae by 21st September 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org; Subject: Product Research and Development Specialist
• Applications are currently accepted on a rolling basis.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.