Terms of Reference
Disaster Management/Resilience Advisor-Hirshabelle State of Somalia **
Duty station: Jowhar-Hirshabelle State of Somalia.
Reporting to: Director General Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management -Hirshabelle State of Somalia
Type of assignment: Secondment
Duration: 1 year with a possibility of Extension subject to performance and availability of funds
Hirshabelle State is one of the Federal Member States of Somalia, and the state is comprised two regions of Hiiraan and Middle Shabelle; the capital city of the state is Jowhar, and is the youngest state to be formed, In terms of resilience the State has endured many things that are detrimental to the environment and the people. Hirshabelle state has been experiencing a number of problems for some time, the first of which is flooding that have been affected people and the environment and they have shown great resilience and strength.
The scope of disaster management is quite wide and it extends over development, prevention, preparedness, response, relief and rehabilitation and mitigation. All these phases require discharge of key functions and assumptions of certain roles, the roles can at times be primary, especially when a crisis takes place and certain other functions become secondary which become supportive to the primary functions. Somalia in general and Hirshabelle State in particular is one of the most disaster-stricken states in Somalia.
Due to accumulation of people and assets in hazardous places, many communities living across Hirshabelle State are increasingly facing vulnerability to the impacts of natural and manmade hazards, particularly with persistent floods, locust’s invasion, droughts and armed conflict between clans and government and Al-Shabab militias. In light of this background, the advisor will guide the government on policy formulation and implementation of resilience programmes in crisis and post-conflict development in Hirshabelle State of Somalia.
The Resilience Advisor for the office of the president is responsible for integrating findings from Hirshabelle State, Office of the president Strategic Resilience Assessment into programming and providing strategic and actionable guidance. and Advise to relevant Ministries on resilience programs and giving guidance to Resilience partners on developing resilience strategies on Hirshabelle State.
The Advisor will be closing working with office of the chief of the staff of the president on advising resilience programs of Hirshabelle State of Somalia. he/she will also will support Hirshabelle State's line ministries for capacitating and guiding them on the implementation of the resilience strategies that guides Hirshabelle States resilience partners.
Duties and Responsibilities; **
· Formation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for resilience coordination.
· Facilitate and/or provide technical advice, training and mentoring to the staff of Ministry of Planning in partnership with the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs & Disaster Management, other relevant ministries and partners in order to improve the technical quality of resilience programs.
· Over-arching working mechanisms in line with the various line ministries, mandated with different services needed to be delivered.
· Establishing a comprehensive approach to maintaining programme and activity cohesiveness in resilience programmes in the region, streamlining service providers outside of government institutions to better grasp and map out needs assessment throughout Hirshabelle, in consultation with administration state and council level.
· Facilitate relationship building with stakeholders in Hirshabelle and wider Somalia, and collaborative work including technical capacity support, capacity building, shared learning mutual encouragement.
· Notify the Office of the DG in the Ministry of Planning and any relevant ministries of any potential funding opportunities and where needed, work together with other relevant ministries to produce concept notes and proposals; and
· Provide training on Disaster Risk Reduction and community approaches to resilience development and climate change initiatives while consulting relevant ministries.
· Ensure effective sector filling and archiving procedures are implemented.
· Address or take cognizance of the local ecology and undertake or support research studies on disaster management and resilience programs.
· Ensure disaster management and resilience activity need oriented, multi-disciplinary and integrated.
· Ensure participatory approach through community involvement in disaster management resilience; and
· Draw up an emergency or response or disaster management plan which is transparent, flexible, efficient, effective, affordable and sustainable.
Qualifications and Experience.
· Master’s degree in Disaster Management, Development Studies, International Relations, Environmental Science and Management.
· At least 5 years of program management experience in humanitarian and early recovery programming involving livelihoods, food security, protection, shelter, WASH or another sector
§ Previous experience working in Disaster Management/Resilience programs in Hirshabelle state of Somalia.
§ Previous experience working on resilience-focused programming and experience with resilience theory and practice, systems thinking and adaptive management.
§ Proven experience successfully coordinating teams, negotiating and influencing others to get results without formal supervisory authority
§ Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring, and other formal and non-formal capacity building methods necessary.
§ Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and program designs
· Strong understanding of Somalia’s National Development Plan, Somalia Recovery and Resilience Framework processes
Essential Skills and Abilities
· Having considered the elements of resilience, and the process of responding to situations, it may now be helpful to talk about what we can do to develop resilience
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to take good decisions-based Designing and developing resilience programs
· The duration of the post will be 1 year but may be renewed subject to the performance of the expert and availability of funds.
· Demonstrates outstanding communication skills, verbal and written, in English, abilities in Somali is a strong asset.**
· Excellent command of Somali and English language (oral and written)
· The disaster management / Resilience Advisor will direct report to the Director General of the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management of Hirshabelle State of Somalia.
Duration of Service
· The candidate will be engaged initially in a 1-year contract appointment with an extension based on project duration budget availability and satisfactory performance.
How to apply
How to apply
Equal Opportunities: We value diversity, and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees.
This position is open to Somalis both in-country and the Diaspora. Interested Candidates especially female candidates who meet all the requirements are highly encouraged. Please apply in below link: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/e1570f9f165e4228865ab7fc2e9c5dc2