General Position Overview
The Financial Accountant (Accountant) will be based at JWL Headquarters Office in the Geneva, Switzerland and will currently report to the Chief Operations & Finance Officer (COFO). The Accountant will be responsible for providing operational and financial support to all locations globally. This includes monthly financial reporting. The ideal candidate must be a professional accountant with a proven track record working within a finance department. S(he) will be responsible for the administration and coordination of accounts payable & receivable, multi-country payrolls, bank reconciliations and reporting, and in doing so, s(he) will work closely with the Executive President, Executive Vice President Academics & Research, Chief of Staff and regional CLC/Country Representatives. The Accountant will assist the COFO in maintaining JWL financial policies, procedures and activities, ensuring close collaboration with those in the field running programs and/or fundraising activities.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), temporary position from November 2021 to January 2023.
Key Oversite Responsibilities
The Accountant role will be responsible for providing operational accounting and financial support, which includes financial reporting and to provide proper accounting processes. In particular:
Financial Operations: Ensure smooth day-to-day financial operations to include managing fund disbursements, purchasing processes, authorizations & controls, payment processing, payroll execution, expense claims, and banking relationships.
General ledger accounting: Lead the bookkeeping processes to include monthly bank reconciliations for three currency accounts; USD, CHF, and EUR accounts as well as petty cash management. Ensure accurate booking of transactions to general ledger accounts.
Fund Accounting: Lead the activity-based cost allocation of project expenses to the correct funds based on grant contracts and annual budgets as well as report to external stakeholders and donors on the use of funds and progress of projects.
Management Reporting: Produce quarterly financial reports for the Global Leadership team including rolling budget forecasts across multiple functions, geographic locations, and specific projects as well as cashflow forecasts, and fund forecasts.
External Audits: Assist in any external audits for the global organization to include donor partners, annual statutory audits, and project specific audits.
Required Qualifications & Competencies
· BA/BS degree level qualification, preferably within Accounting, Mathematics, Business, Economics or similar with at least 5 years’ experience working in a Finance Department.
· High degree of proficiency with Excel a must, Word and PowerPoint plus an ability to learn new finance software programs.
· Experienced base level of accounting knowledge desirable with a wish to build upon this throughout your time in role.
· Good attention to detail, with demonstrable data entry and manipulation skills as well as a general understanding of financial accounting systems structures
· Strong organisation and prioritisation skills, and ability to deliver on multiple concurrent deadlines
· Excellent communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively across different levels of the organisation, and to communicate financial issues to non-finance staff
· Proactive and willing to take on more responsibility as/when needed to support the organization
· Proven numerical and analytical aptitude, clearly supported by relevant experience
· Organised, flexible and easily adaptable to changing conditions
· Strong time management and self-direction skills set (ability to work either independently or within a team, in-changing often)
· High energy, high ownership and a strong balance between team working and ability to work independently to drive results
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural/global open space office
· Critical and contextual thinking skills along with creative problem-solving skills
· Fluent in English with strong French language skills (B2/C1 level)
ONLY Candidates who already have a Swiss work/residency authorisation will be considered for this temporary position.
How to apply
Candidates must already have a Swiss work authorisation to apply!
Interested candidates should send a cover letter along with their CV and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.