About the role: This is a 36 month, replacement role with accompanied (partner only) terms based in Bujumbura, Burundi with a salary of €58,646 to €65,162.
You will report to the Regional Director and will line manage the Programme Director, Systems Director, Country Finance Controller and Country Manager- Rwanda.
Concern Worldwide is one of the biggest humanitarian organisations operating in Burundi. Its operations have grown substantially in the last three years to meet growing challenges in the domains of food security, health, nutrition, WASH and refugee reintegration. The Country Director leads the senior management team, is pivotal in assuring the high quality delivery of our humanitarian and development programmes in Burundi. The Country Director is also responsible for overseeing the Concern Rwanda programme at a distance, managing the Country Manager-Rwanda. Concern has been operating in Rwanda since 1994, and our work has and continues to shape and inform government policy.
We are looking for an inspiring, passionate, experienced leader to help consolidate the Concern programme in Burundi and Rwanda and to grow it further.
Your purpose: You will have overall responsibility for the strategic development and management of the Concern country programme. You will ensure the programme meets objectives as set out in agreed strategic plans, annual plans and programme proposals. You will also ensure the country programme is in line with Concern Worldwide policies, procedures and meets Core Humanitarian standards. You will lead the Senior Management Team and represent the organization with government, donors and other international organizations.
You will be responsible for: Leadership & Strategic Direction:
• Leading the Country Management Team and ensuring a participative decision making process for the Country Strategic Plan
• Leading by example and supporting the Concern team to achieve organisational outcomes
• Ensuring staff capacity, organisational structures and programme approaches are fit for purpose and able to effectively deliver strategic organisational goals
• Engaging with major organisational advocacy issues, providing support and leadership for key strategic campaigns.
Risk Management & Accountability:
• Ensuring optimal use of financial resources; managed in a transparent and accountable manner, consistent with Concern’s and donor policies, systems and procedures, delivering quality results and demonstrating value for money.
• Responding robustly to any suspicions or reports of fraud, code of conduct abuses or other misdemeanours, and adhering to Concern’s policy and procedures on investigations
• Ensuring Concern complies with all relevant national legal and administrative requirements
• Identifying all risks and implementing mitigating measures in conjunction with the Country Management Team.
• Ensuring a functioning Complaints Response Mechanism within all programmes
• Lead and manage the implementation of safeguarding policies and procedures; and response to breaches of the Concern Code of Conduct and associated policies, in collaboration with the Safeguarding Office.
• Establish and maintain an effective safety and security management system to meet agreed standards.
• ensure all staff are aware of and adhere to the Security Management Plan.
Programme Development & Implementation:
• Ensuring adequate financial resources for continual programming in country.
• Supporting the Programme Director to ensure programmes are designed, implemented, monitored and evaluated in line with Concern Worldwide policies, incorporating a results-based management approach
• Enabling an organisational culture that supports effective learning, sharing and continual improvement of programme quality.
Support Systems & People Management:
• Supporting and guiding the Systems and Finance functions to ensure effective and efficient administrative, logistical and financial support is provided to staff of Concern Worldwide.
• Supporting the CFC in budget preparation, revision and monitoring; ensuring that budget holders actively manage their cost centres and prepare accurate budgets in line with the annual plan.
• Ensure that Concern’s IT systems provide efficient and effective communication and data management for the organisation, linking with Concern Worldwide systems.
• Supporting and guiding the Systems Director to ensure there are competent and empowered human resources, in a fair, diverse and efficient workplace
• Ensuring the National HR Manual and HR policies are in line with organisational and national legal requirements and all staff are aware of and comply with these.
• Undertaking initiatives to ensure a good working environment and team spirit so Concern is perceived as an employer of choice for national and international staff.
• Ensuring job requisitions are prepared on a timely basis for international positions
• Ensuring staff Performance and Development Review’s (PDR) are undertaken for all staff with appropriate training, development and career opportunities identified.
Representation & Networking:
• Creating a strong and visible profile for the organisation, as a leading actor in the fight against poverty and the implementation of resilience programming.
• Communicating information regarding Concern and its programme at National level to Government, Donors and INGOs, alliances and networks across a range of fora.
• Engaging appropriately with the media to ensure that Concern's values and vision and programmes are highlighted.
• Representing Concern Worldwide in strategic national and international meetings;
• Ensuring relationships and formal agreements with the government are maintained and updated.
Your skills and experience will include:
· Relevant post graduate qualification
· Three to five years’ experience in senior position with an international NGO
· Management of diverse and multi-sectoral programmes
· Previous work in a similar context
Management of a diverse team of senior staff
Management of systems and finance functions, including knowledge of donor compliance
Working with major international donors and securing external donor funding.
Knowledge and experience of incorporating key approaches across programmes
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a confidence to engage and represent Concern at public fora, media and donors.
Experience of managing challenging government relations.
Delegation, time management and prioritizing skills
Computer literate and good knowledge of Word and Excel.
Excellent written and spoken English and French
Empathy with Concern’s mission, vision and goals, and our target group
We would also like:
You to be flexible and reliable
You to be culturally sensitive and empathic to others
You to be able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines;
You to have some sense of humour
How to apply
Les candidatures en français sont les bienvenues
All applications should be submitted through our website at https://jobs.concern.net by closing date CV’s should be no more than 4 pages in length.
Due to the urgency of this position we may offer it before the deadline.