Development Officer (Part time 4 days per week, flexible working pattern to fit US working time differences)
Location:**Head Office (US or UK)**Position Location:**London, UK, New York, NY, Washington DC, USA, or Remotely Based**
Title: Development Officer (Part time 4 days per week, flexible working pattern to fit US working time differences)
Department: Development and Communications
Location: London / Washington can be based remotely
Reporting to: Senior Director, Development and Communications
Direct reports: Fundraising Administrator (Based in London)
Budget responsibility: None
About Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises, and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the four corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, MRCA/RI-France and RI-Europe. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
About our Programs.
RI is active in 16 countries around the world, including some of the most fragile: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen. Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
- RI employs 7,000+ staff and auxiliary workers
- 97% of staff are local nationals
- We only have some 90 ex-pat staff out of 7,000+
- RI spent $150 million in 2019 on our programs
Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI invests in four broad program sectors: Economic Opportunity, Education, Health, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. We design our programs to incorporate The RI Way: local participation, integrated programming, the development of civic skills, and complementary partnerships including with local NGOs, governments, and the private sector. RI supports solutions that reinforce and improve upon existing in-country systems. Where such systems do not exist or are chronically underperforming, RI’s crisis response lays the foundation for long-term, sustainable change.
The Development Officer will work closely with and support the Senior Director for Development and Communications based in Washington, to implement Relief International’s private fundraising plan. You will be primarily responsible for cultivating a portfolio of individual donors giving between $500-$25,000 to encourage repeat donations and increased giving levels. Including provide support to developing high quality proposals for major donors.
Working as part of a small but highly ambitious and productive team, the Development Officer will have plenty of support, but will also be encouraged to develop their own ideas and to manage their own work. Working in a fast-paced, challenging, and intellectually stimulating work environment, the Development Officer will play an important role in supporting Relief International’s existing development efforts.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Manage a portfolio of existing individual donors and take steps to grow these to become a longer-term income stream
- To provide excellent donor care such as writing thank you letters, responding to queries, speaking and meeting with donors
- Develop powerful cases of support, in order to create persuasive fundraising collateral
- Develop high quality and compelling proposals and applications for major donors applications
- Prepare high quality reports to donors and contribute to grant evaluations
- Help to connect existing and new supporters to the work of Relief International, inspiring them to contribute financially
- Oversee Prospect research into new donors by Fundraising Administrator and Development intern
- Contribute to department planning, bringing new ideas for inspiring our supporters
- To support the coordination of fundraising appeals, campaigns and events
- To lead on the production of fundraising materials with support from communication and development team members for newsletters, direct mailings, appeals, and events (virtual and in-person)
- Manage and develop the Fundraising Administrator to be sure that the donor database is up-to date, accurate and work to improve data quality
- Ensuring the Fundraising Administrator to run reports from the database that provide key information to the team on where to invest our time in donor cultivation to yeild return
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
This position will require a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated and proven experience in fundraising
- Proven experience of successfully engaging people with a cause and motivating giving
- Experience of building excellent relationships with external stakeholders, and a desire to engage in front-line fundraising
- Experience of positive collaborative working with internal stakeholders
- Experience of developing and writing high quality funding proposals and report writing is desirable but not required
- Exemplary verbal and written presentation skills with a talent for expressing complex ideas in simple and effective language both verbally and in writing
- Creative and able to produce engaging written and visual communications
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence engaging with people
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to assess, prioritize and manage a varied and demanding workload
- Numerate with a basic understanding of financial accounts
- Collaborative, inclusive, and team-driven
- Patient listener, likable, diplomatic, and engaging
- Awareness of the needs of others and flexible to respond
- A passion for the work of Relief International and a desire to continually broaden and deepen the organization’s impact
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
How to apply.
- To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page
- You will be asked to upload a CV and Cover Letter. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages long and explain why you are interested in this post with Relief International and how your skills and experience make you a good fit.
Closing date. Please apply immediately we will be reviewing applicants on a rolling basis, therefore may withdraw the position for the job board closing date.
Please apply by uploading your cover letter and up-to-date CV on our website .
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Note to external agencies, we will not be accepting CVs from third parties.
Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.