Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Operations Manager in Yemen. As Operations Manager your role is to oversee Humanitarian Mine Action operations in the field (EORE, NTS, EOD/BAC, etc.) and ensure compliance with relevant standards and procedures.
About the job
As Operations Manager you manage technical teams directly and you ensure training needs are addressed. You will ensure representation and coordination with the HMA sector in Yemen and support the HDP Programme Manager with technical inputs on budgets, proposals, presentations and/or documentation and communication related to HDP operations in Yemen. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Daily responsibility for management and supervision of the operational activities.
- Planning, monitoring, and evaluation of all aspects in EORE, NTS, EOD, BAC and mine clearance activities with the Technical Field Managers.
- Directly manage, monitor and supervise Technical Advisors, Technical Field Managers and Team Leaders, ensuring that they carry out their duties and responsibilities in accordance with their job descriptions and as tasked.
- Assure that the prioritisation set by YEMAC-YMACC and the donors are taken into consideration in the planning of operational activities.
- Monitor and analyse productivity achieved and recommend methods and practices to enhance productivity ensuring cost effective operations to be conducted in the program.
- Responsible for monitoring of training and competence building of national employees within the operational part of the program; address technical/knowledge gaps and update training needs/plans on a regular basis.
- Support the supply chain department in developing plans for maintenance and the turnover of operational equipment.
- Be a part of the management team for the HDP Yemen consisting of the Programme Manager, Operations Manager, Technical Field Manager(s) and advise on technical matters;
- In close collaboration with Technical Field Manager(s) develop and update as needed Standard Operation Procedures and implement changes in the program accordingly.
- Report the output to the HDP HQ on a monthly basis.
- Support HDP Programme Manager by contributing to and providing technical inputs for HMA proposals and budget development.
- Liaise with Mine Action authorities, and other organisations active Humanitarian Mine Action on operational matters.
- Support the HDP Programme Manager with operational matters when writing proposals and reports to the above actors.
- Liaise with Yemeni authorities, donors, Mine Action authorities, and other organisations active in demining development and security in the absence of the HDP Programme Manager.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have at least 5 years of international experience from humanitarian/ development work including programme development and management responsibilities. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- EOD Level 3 + qualification
- At least 3 years of experience with humanitarian mine action in a technical position.
- Strong experience in training, capacity building and team management
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Experience with financial management is an asset.
- Experience with highly insecure environments.
- Diplomatic, patient, and persistent.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Good knowledge of Word and Excel
- NTS qualifications
- IED experience/qualification an asset
- Basic Life Saving Course
- HEAT or equivalent
- GIS / mapping software
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 24 months
Level: Senior Management, E
Designation of Duty Station: Aden, with frequent travel to field offices, non-family duty station
Start date: 1 August
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates.
How to apply
All applicants must upload the below three documents via our online application system. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
• Cover Letter in English
• Updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
• Copy of your IMAS EOD 3 certificate (Select 'Other documents' to upload the required file)
Closing date for applications: 25 June
Please note that applications will be reviewed continuously and interviews will be planned as soon as a suitable candidate is identified - so early submission of applications is encouraged. DRC remains a right to close the vacancy once a suitable candidate is identified**.**
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.