Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Our client is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). They are mandated by the United Nations General Assembly (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive & coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize our client's technical expertise in responding to threats posed by unsecured & unsafe conventional weapons & ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, our client supports peacekeeping & special political missions in accordance with security council mandates.
- Our client as a component of the UN provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non lethal tactical advice & analysis is delivered by our clients Technical Advisors located in each AMISOM sector headquarters & at AMISOM force headquarters, who support AMISOM planning & operations. Our clients support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) & response (“defeat the device”). As a component of the UN our client also supports the Federal Government of Somalia, including the Somali Police Force, the Somali Explosive Management Authority & the National Security Advisor.
- The Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) supports & facilitates the work of our client, other UN partners & govt.'s in some 18 countries & territories affected by explosive hazards. The PSC provides specialized project management services to efficiently support our client in delivering essential work on the ground in emergency, post conflict & peacekeeping environments with the aim of promoting peace & security, protecting civilians & ensuring long lasting human security.
The Liaison Officer will work under the direct supervision of the AMISOM Support Project Manager. S / he will undertake the following responsibilities & duties as follows:
- Represent our client & AMISOM supported project at AMISOM Force Headquarters (FHQ) offices, joining AMISOM regular meetings & briefings.
- Maintain daily contact with AMISOM FHQ.
- Prepare & participate on AMISOM & SNA routine & short notice adhoc field visits as required by AMISOM / SNA / project management.
- Join AMISOM & SNA leadership field missions & key field based events as our client's representative, including combat readiness & other assessments in field locations.
- Provide support to the project management team in identifying & maintaining a list of AMISOM & SNA points of contact & furthermore opportunities for cooperation between AMISOM, SNA & our client.
- Highlight key concerns, risks, opportunities & messages to the Project Manager & where required, to the Program Director.
- Schedule regular & adhoc meetings with AMISOM & SNA leadership.
- Prepare talking points ahead of meetings.
- Draft & facilitate presentations, briefings & speeches as required, following organizational protocols.
- Follow up on support requests received from stakeholders, address delays & bring to the attention of Project Manager.
- Draft official correspondence with key AMISOM & Somali National Army representatives.
- Draft minutes of meetings, decisions made & action points during & following meetings.
- Provide clear documents on project issues & bring matters that need decision by the Project Manager / Deputy Project Manager to his/her attention.
- Maintain work records & prepare weekly reports.
- Coordinate travel arrangements with UN & AMISOM security & protocol teams.
- Support in organizing presentations & providing briefings to our clients senior management.
- Perform any other tasks & duties as requested by the project management.
- The Liaison Officer will work under the direct supervision of the AMISOM Support Project Manager.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 10 year of experience in Africa (desirable).
- First Level University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience OR military or police experience or Officer level (or equivalent) with a minimum of 11 years of relevant experience is required.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in security, liaison, military staff officer duties, or international relations.
- Experience in report writing is required.
- Experience in preparing & delivering briefings, presentations is required.
- Experience in working in a peacekeeping mission & / or military headquarters setting is required.
- Experience in field mission travel is required.
- Computer literacy is required.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading, and writing) is required.
- Integrity & inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect, responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational & ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Leading self & others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates & supports the development of others.
- Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others.
- Results orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Agility: Open to change & flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Solution focused: Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Effective communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others. Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
Other relevant information:
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
- Candidates applying for this role need MUST upload their latest resume on their profiles.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website & apply for this role using the below link: