Position Title: Smart Cities & 3D Modelling Specialist
Project Name: Taqarib/Local Governance and Civil Society (LGCS) Activity
Period of Performance: July 1, 2021 to Sept 30, 2021
Report to: Objective 1 Lead
The Taqarib/Local Governance and Civil Society (LGCS) Activity will support the foundation of a more unified Libyan state by prioritizing local-level activities that foster stability and accountable governance while reinforcing positive linkages among the national government, subnational government administration, and citizens. Taqarib /LGCS works to increase the Libyan Government’s ability to deliver essential services and promote stability. It seeks to help citizens engage in public dialogue, prioritize resources, and develop initiatives to hold government accountable. To achieve these goals, Taqarib/LGCS will center its activities around four objectives:
- Strengthen the capacity of targeted municipal institutions to deliver services and be more responsive to citizen needs
- Empower Libyan citizens, civil society organizations, private sector, and other stakeholders with the skills and capability to advocate for government institutions to deliver on their mandates.
- Encourage coherence of national and subnational government policy, systems, and coordination through pilots advancing targeted policy reform. Strengthen national and subnational decentralization policies, systems, and coordination
- Inform Programming through a robust learning and analysis agenda
Advise and train between 20 and 30 municipalities in Libya on best practices in municipal development including the transformation of municipalities in Libya into Smart Cities. The specialist will travel to municipalities (where necessary and as needed) to conduct training sessions on 3D modelling of relevant municipalities and help facilitate the creation of a digitized infrastructure data center within municipalities using various software to include GIS, Excel and Google Earth.
TASKS (PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS)
- Analyze the municipality’s governance and planning capacities (Municipal Development Plans, Urban Plans, Operational Plans, among others).
- Assist in the implementation and training of municipal staff in 3D modelling of respective municipalities. This should link 3D modelling and Smart Cities directly to service delivery.
- Develop an action plan for transforming municipalities into a fully integrated and digitized data center.
- Facilitate and supervise the training of municipal staff in building modern databases for municipalities in Libya at sustainable costs. Linkages to services delivery and improved service deliver must be the focus.
- Advise municipalities on Best Practices, programs, procedures, and routines associated with the operation of a municipal data center
- Identify synergies with public and private sectors (as well as INGOs) that could be utilized in transforming the municipality into a Smart City.
- Develop and prepare the necessary technical templates from standard specifications.
- Develop key metrics to measure municipalities’ success.
- Assist municipalities in analyzing the potential of municipal services that could be improved using Smart City technologies/concepts.
- Assist municipalities in identifying the critical challenges and opportunities for moving forward with the implementation of a Smart City Action Plan.
- Assist municipalities in identifying viable technological solutions, which suit the Libyan context, for the municipality to respond to the problems or opportunities identified.
- Responsible for delivering and evaluating trainings.
- Draft and develop Scope of Work detail sheets for the procurement of goods and items related to 3D modelling of cities.
- Provide tailored technical assistance to municipalities based on their specific needs.
- Link Smart Cities concepts in Libya with our Smart Cities concepts being presented by Taqarib and the Romania City Managers Association.
Deliverable One: Best Practices Guide on Smart Cities for Libya Municipalities. Required Delivery Date: To be ready and available upon training finalization. Arabic and English versions
Deliverable Two: Scope Conduct Peer to Peer learning of Smart Cities efforts in at least 20 municipalities with the goal being 30 municipalities. Efforts should be focused on assisting on Smart Cities planning for reconstruction and redevelopment of municipalities in Libya. Required Delivery Date: Must reach a minimum of 20 municipalities by the end of the 60-day assignment.
Deliverable Three: Training of municipal staff at least 3 from each municipality on Smart Cities. Required Delivery Date: Throughout the consultancy period but must reach a minimum of 20 municipalities with the optimal goal being 30 municipalities.
Deliverable Four: Weekly progress reports: Required Delivery Date: Every Thursday by 5 pm Tunis Time
- Must have a BS or BA in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, Geospatial Engineering, Public Administration, or other related fields.
- Must have experience in the development of Smart Cities with the use of technological tools
- Must have five years’ experience or more in engineering and planning.
- Must have strong background and proven record in 3D modelling of cities using various software.
- Must have strong spoken and written command of English and Arabic languages.
- Must be able to travel to municipalities as needed.
- Must have a background in working with International Best Practices.
How to apply
Interested applicants to submit CV and cover letter to Libya@dai.com with email subject title “Smart Cities and 3D Modelling Specialist”.