Position Title: Google Earth GIS Specialist
Project Name: Taqarib/Local Governance and Civil Society (LGCS) Activity
Period of Performance: July 1, 2021 to Sept 1, 2021
Report to: Objective 1 Lead
The Taqarib/Local Governance and Civil Society (LGCS) Activity will support the foundation of a more unified Libyan state by prioritizing local-level activities that foster stability and accountable governance while reinforcing positive linkages among the national government, subnational government administration, and citizens. Taqarib /LGCS works to increase the Libyan Government’s ability to deliver essential services and promote stability. It seeks to help citizens engage in public dialogue, prioritize resources, and develop initiatives to hold government accountable. To achieve these goals, Taqarib/LGCS will center its activities around four objectives:
Strengthen the capacity of targeted municipal institutions to deliver services and be more responsive to citizen needs
Empower Libyan citizens, civil society organizations, private sector, and other stakeholders with the skills and capability to advocate for government institutions to deliver on their mandates.
Encourage coherence of national and subnational government policy, systems, and coordination through pilots advancing targeted policy reform. Strengthen national and subnational decentralization policies, systems, and coordination
Inform Programming through a robust learning and analysis agenda
Advise and train 14 municipalities in Libya on best practices in municipal in Google Earth and GIS mapping of their municipalities with a focus on mapping of the Mahalla Boundaries in each of the identified municipalities.
TASKS (PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS)
· Analyze the municipality’s governance and planning capacities (Municipal Development Plans, Urban Plans, Operational Plans, among others).
· Assist in the implementation and training of municipal staff in the use of Google Earth and GIS to map their respective Mahallas in each municipality.
· Develop an action plan for transforming municipalities into a fully integrated and digitized data center.
· Facilitate and supervise the training of municipal staff in building modern databases for municipalities in Libya at sustainable costs. Linkages to services delivery and improved service deliver must be the focus.
· Advise municipalities on Best Practices, programs, procedures, and routines associated with the operation of a municipal data center with the Planning units and Project units.
· Develop key metrics to measure municipalities’ success, using Mahalla as the key mapping indicator
· Assist municipalities in analyzing the potential of municipal services that could be improved using GIS and Google Earth in mapping of critical infrastructure.
· Assist municipalities in identifying viable technological solutions, which suit the Libyan context, for the municipality to respond to the problems or opportunities identified.
· Responsible for delivering and evaluating trainings.
· Provide tailored technical assistance to municipalities based on their specific needs.
Deliverable One: Best Practices Guide on Mahalla Mapping and Municipal Mapping using Google Earth and GIS for Libya Municipalities. Required Delivery Date: To be ready and available upon training finalization. Arabic and English versions.
Deliverable Two: Produce in partnership with the 14 municipalities Google Earth and GIS maps of the Mahallas within each municipality.
Deliverable Three: Training of municipal staff: Delivery training to the municipal staff on how to develop, chart, mark and capture data on Mahalla boundaries and identify key infrastructure within each Mahalla.
Deliverable Four: Weekly progress reports: Required Delivery Date: Every Thursday by 5 pm
· Must have a BS or BA in Civil Engineering, Urban Planning, Geospatial Engineering, Public Administration, or other related fields.
· Must have experience in the development of Smart Cities with the use of technological tools
· Must have five years’ experience or more in engineering and planning.
· Must have strong background and proven record in 3D modelling of cities using various software such as GIS and Google Earth.
· Must have strong spoken and written command of English and Arabic languages.
· Must be able to travel to municipalities as needed.
· Must have a background in working with International Best Practices.
How to apply
Interested applicants to submit CV and cover letter to Libya@dai.com with email subject title “Google Earth GIS Specialist”.