Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Social Impact has been commissioned to perform an evaluation of media literacy projects by the Bureau of Europe and Eurasia/Office of the Coordinator of Assistance to Europe, Eurasia, and Central Asia (EUR/ACE). It will be a performance evaluation of media literacy assistance projects carried out by USG donors and one USG-funded implementing partner in Europe and Eurasia: The Global Engagement Center (GEC); the Department of State’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (DRL); the National Endowment for Democracy (NED); and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). The objective of the evaluation is to assess the effectiveness of these partners’ past and on-going projects, and to inform future funding decisions of the Bureau of Europe and Eurasia/Office of the Coordinator of Assistance to Europe, Eurasia, and Central Asia (EUR/ACE) and to identify and apply lessons learned from the evaluation to future programming in the region. The intended audience is the implementing partners plus ACE, EUR, SCA, U.S. embassies and USAID Missions in Europe, Eurasia, and Central Asia.
This evaluation will focus on media literacy projects or the media literacy components of projects implemented in 2017-2020 with funding from ACE and GEC with any fiscal year funds that partners were expending during this timeframe. Media literacy encompasses the practices that allow people to access, analyze, critically evaluate, create, and act using all forms of communication. The period of performance is anticipated to last one year.
SI is seeking a Local Research Expert to provide technical, logistical, and administrative support to the evaluation team to ensure smooth and successful data collection and fieldwork throughout the life of the project. The Research Expert is responsible for conducting qualitative and quantitative data collection; scheduling Key Informant Interviews (KIIs); providing input on local context; and sourcing evaluation resources and supplies. The Local Research Expert will be based in Lithuania and report to the Evaluation Team Leader. This is a part-time consultancy position expected to last one year from date of contract award.
Please note: This is a local position. Only candidates with Polish citizenship will be considered.
- Contribute to written deliverables, including draft and final evaluation reports.
- Prepare the evaluation team for fieldwork.
- Schedule interviews and meetings for in-country data collection.
- Maintain regular communication with SI HQ and the evaluation team.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative data collection.
- Coordinate logistics of data collection (setting up interviews, tracking completions, locating participants, identifying and setting up locations for interviews and focus groups, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Prior experience coordinating with respondents and partners – including youth, local government, ministries, universities, and/or local NGOs on behalf of implementation or evaluation teams.
- Ability to work remotely and independently, with minimal supervision, within the context of a larger team.
- Experience conducting and handling logistics of data collection (locating participants, setting up interviews, tracking completions, identifying and setting up locations for interviews and focus groups, etc.).
- Experience with data entry and transcription of qualitative data.
- Oral and written fluency in English.
- Previous experience working on DOS or other USG-funded projects in Europe and Eurasia of similar size and scope.
- Experience conducting research and data analysis for media and information literacy projects.
- Experience in survey design, test development, key informant interviewing, focus group facilitation, and skills in analyzing all of these data sources.
- Work and sociocultural analysis experience in as many as possible of the following target countries: Georgia, Ukraine, Armenia, Moldova, Poland, and Lithuania.
- Gender and age group analysis skills.
- English language report writing skills.
How to apply
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To apply for the position, please visit our website: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=SOCIIMPA2&cws=1&rid=3574
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.