Scope of position
As an organization that defines itself through its interventions and projects in the field, ASF must be able to ensure good operational and administrative management of all field activities.
To this end, in 2018, ASF created a "Mediterranean" regional office in order to develop and harmonize its action in the region, the position of Euro-Med Finance and Operations Support Officer has been created in order to bring the second line of support as close as possible to the country teams.
The Euro-Med Finance and Operations Support Officer will be responsible for assisting the country office teams in Tunisia and Morocco in the management of their projects, taking into account the specificities of each operational context and partnership.
In order to respect the double requirement of geographical location/relevance and overall level of control, he/she will therefore be required to collaborate on a regular basis, not only with the countries of intervention but also with the Brussels office and the regional office.
All functions contribute to the fulfilment of ASF's mandate with the ultimate goal of optimizing the impact of our intervention for the final beneficiaries in the countries of intervention.
The Finance and Operations Support Officer is responsible for supporting and advising on the implementation of the organization’s operations. As of May 2021, this corresponds to Tunisia and Morocco, with the possibility of extension in the medium term.
The Euro-Med Region Finance and Operations Support Officer will supervise, in collaboration with the Brussels support team, the proper operational management of the missions under his/her responsibility. To this end, he/she supervises
the proper application of ASF procedures, in particular accounting and procurement
the proper execution of the support and program budgets
the updating of security plans
In addition, he/she supports the development of new programs/geographical contexts.
He/she ensures the development and proper use of resources as well as the implementation of the processes involved in the different areas of operations management.
He/she ensures the quality of information conveyed within the organization in order to optimize management decisions and to continuously improve the level of internal learning and accountability to beneficiaries, donors and partners.
In ASF's organisational model, which is based on collaborative work, every function contains tasks that are "recurrent" and others that are carried out in "project mode".
Within the framework of its recurring tasks, the exercise of responsibility is understood as the following:
To be responsible for the quality of the processes developed in his/her function and for their proper implementation (individual responsibility).
Responsibility for achieving objectives and results requires the intervention of other people and functions, and is a collective responsibility, exercised at the level of general coordination.
Recurring tasks are as follows:
1. Management of country offices **
- He/she checks the country accounts on a quarterly basis and prepares a management report for the Regional Director (RD), the Administration-Finance-Logistics (AFL) Manager and the Head of Operations and Finance in Brussels.
- He/she supports the AFL in the annual accounting closing process and ensures the smooth running of the closing for the countries for which he/she is responsible.
- He/she supports the AFL teams and Country Directors in the elaboration of the financial strategy and in the monitoring of the good budget coverage of the mission (including the existence of co-financing plans).
- In order to minimize the risk of losses, especially for foreign exchange, he/she checks the cash flow by optimizing international transfers.
- He/she meets regularly with the RD and the AFL manager to analyze the financial risks and propose possible solutions/alternatives. He/she follows up the implementation of the auditors' recommendations in all Country Offices.
Administration et logistics
- During the opening and closing of ASF offices, he/she supports the team in all administrative aspects (registration, country approval, supplier agreements and contracts).
- He/she is in charge of the logistical aspects of the consultant's and ILN’s missions in the country offices.
- He/she is in charge of the publication of consultant advertisements.
- Occasionally, he/she participates in certain selection committees for the purchase of goods and services (depending on the amounts involved) and supports the proper maintenance of country inventories.
- He/she participates in the recruitment of AFL teams in the countries and is in charge of the training of new AFLs recruited in the country offices.
- He/she participates supports the Country Directors at the end of contracts and during restructuring phases.
Team management and human resources
In close collaboration with the Human Resources Officer and the Country Directors, participates in the recruitment of the managerial teams of the support departments.
- He/she supports, in close collaboration with the HR Officer, the HR processes involved (briefings/debriefings, training/integration, evaluation, detection of potential, development and communication) so as to ensure the size and adequacy of the knowledge required and the improvement of staff capacities.
- He/she has technical but non-hierarchical responsibility (under the supervision of the Country Directors) for the management, supervision and development of the finance teams, which includes leading, training, motivating and monitoring its capacity, as well as identifying potential conflicts and resolving them as necessary.
- He/she organizes regular working meetings with his/her teams and project teams and carries out appraisals of the employees under his/her direct responsibility.
- He/she transmits ASF's methodology and tools for the development of security plans and supports the country offices in the development of their security plan. **
- He/she can contribute to the proper implementation of security rules in the countries and supports the country teams in their contextual and risk analyses.
- He/she supports the countries in the implementation of their contingency plans.**
2. Support in project management
- He/she supports carries out (as required) the country teams in the development and management of projects, particularly in respecting and complying with the rules of donors and ASF's internal rules.
- He/she provides support to the field teams on aspects of contractual accountability to donors (support in drafting financial reports in accordance with the narratives, support during audits and external evaluations, etc.). He/she validates the financial reports.
- He/she advises and strengthens the staff of the offices in terms of project management methodologies/tools, and trains them as needed (by teaching them how to use them).
- He/she supports the "value for money" approach of the organization’s actions in transforming inputs into outputs.
- He/she ensures that lessons learned in project and contract management are disseminated within the organization and, if necessary, integrated into the reference documents.
- At the level of partners, he/she supports the creation and implementation of partnership agreements by ensuring that donor / ASF procedures are respected. He/she validates the partnership agreements on management aspects.
Position of the function
The Euro-Med Regional Finance and Operations Support Officer works both under the hierarchical supervision of the Mediterranean Regional Director and the technical supervision of the Head of Operations and Finance in Brussels. As such, he/she is part of the overall operations team.
The ideal candidate has:
· A higher education preferably in economics, finance, accounting or management (Master level)
· A minimum of 5 years’ relevant professional experience in a management control function
· Has experience in international project management (Asset)
· Experience in international project management (Asset)
· Experience in the field and/or in NGOs/cooperation (Asset)
· Experience in supporting local partners and in team management (Asset)
· A very good knowledge and practice of double-entry bookkeeping / accounting software such as Bob50
· Has a good command of Office softwares
· Has a real capacity to listen and good interpersonal skills
· Demonstrates analytical skills and a spirit of synthesis, autonomy in his/her work and resistance to stress.
· Takes initiatives, has a sense of responsibility, is a teacher and is rigorous.
· A 12 month fixed term contract, with the possibility of renewal/transition to permanent
· A gross monthly salary as per ASF salary scale, taking into account relevant previous experiences
· An attractive compensation and benefits package
· The opportunity to work for a leading NGO specialized in the development of projects to promote and support access to justice, the realization of human rights and the rule of law
· The opportunity to play a part in major and inspiring changes. You will be part of a motivated and passionate team who are committed to their mission
· A stimulating and passionate work environment within an organization that pays a lot of attention to the work-life balance
How to apply
Please send your cover letter, CV and availabilities at email@example.com, with «Operations and Finance Support officer EUROMED Region» in the object, before 27 june 2021.